Static Friction in Circular Motion

In summary, the given problem involves finding the time for one revolution of an object with a given radius and coefficient of static friction. The normal force and gravitational force are the only forces acting in the vertical direction, making the normal force equal to mg. The force of static friction is found using the equation FS = FN * μS, and the net force in the horizontal direction is equal to the force of friction. Using the acceleration found from the equation a = g * μS, the time for one revolution is solved for using the equation 2.744 = 4 * π2 * (3) / T2. The differences in mass do not affect the time for one revolution, as shown by the equation 0.5m
Softwarm
Homework Statement
You are sitting on the edge of a horizontal disk (for example, a playground merry-go-round) that has radius 3.00 m and is rotating at a constant rate about a vertical axis. The coefficient of static friction between you and the surface of the disk is 0.280

A) What is the minimum time for one revolution of the disk if you are not to slide off? Express your answer with the appropriate units.

B) Your friend's weight is half yours. If the coefficient of static friction for him is the same as for you, what is the minimum time for one revolution if he is not to slide off? Express your answer with the appropriate units.
Relevant Equations
a = 4*π^2*r / T^2
A) So we are given the radius and the coefficient of static friction as 3.0 m and 0.28 respectively. I know that in the vertical direction the only forces acting are the normal force and the gravitational force. Therefore, the normal force is equal to mg because net force is equal to 0, due to no vertical acceleration.

I can find the force of static friction, FS = FN * μS
Net force in the horizontal direction, ma = FS, the only force is the force of friction
ma = mg * μS
a = g * 0.28
a = 2.744 m/s2

I'm not entirely sure where the frictional force would point on a free-body diagram but, I can use the acceleration to solve for the time for one revolution (T) with the equation mentioned above.

2.744 = 4 * π2 * (3) / T2
T = √(4 * π2 * (3) / 2.744)
T = 6.57 s

B) For this part, I don't think the differences in mass will have an affect on the time for one revolution.
When solving for the acceleration,
0.5m * a = 0.5m * g * μS
The 0.5m will just cancel out and we'll be left with the same acceleration and the same time for one revolution.
T = 6.57 s

Is my answer correct? I'm not sure if there is anything I missed or if I used my equations incorrectly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Your work looks good. I think your answers for (a) and (b) are correct.

Softwarm said:
I'm not entirely sure where the frictional force would point on a free-body diagram
Whenever an object moves in a circle at constant speed, what is the direction of the net force acting on the object? Therefore, what must be the direction of the friction force in this problem?

Likes Softwarm
Softwarm said:
FS = FN * μS
Only in the limiting case, where it is on the verge of slipping (as here).

Likes Softwarm
TSny said:
Welcome to PF!

Your work looks good. I think your answers for (a) and (b) are correct.Whenever an object moves in a circle at constant speed, what is the direction of the net force acting on the object? Therefore, what must be the direction of the friction force in this problem?

Ahh I see, so it would point towards the center. Thanks.

Likes TSny

What is static friction in circular motion?

Static friction in circular motion refers to the force that opposes the motion of an object along a circular path. It is caused by the interactions between the surfaces of the object and the surface it is moving on.

How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

Static friction occurs when an object is not moving, while kinetic friction occurs when an object is already in motion. In circular motion, static friction prevents the object from sliding off its circular path, while kinetic friction slows down the object's motion.

What factors affect the magnitude of static friction in circular motion?

The magnitude of static friction in circular motion depends on the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface it is moving on, the normal force acting on the object, and the radius of the circular path.

Can static friction ever be greater than kinetic friction in circular motion?

Yes, it is possible for static friction to be greater than kinetic friction in circular motion. This can happen if the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface is high enough to keep the object from sliding even when it is in motion.

How does static friction affect the speed of an object in circular motion?

Static friction acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, so it can slow down the speed of the object in circular motion. It also plays a role in maintaining the object's constant speed and preventing it from deviating from its circular path.