Meeting with a Professor for Undergrad Research Tomorrow.

In summary, the author is meeting with an undergraduate professor to discuss work as an undergrad for the quarter. The author is nervous because they want to help and they know that what they will be asked won't be "grunt work". The author tries to think of anything that might help them and ends up talking about interests they have and skills they have that are relevant to the professor's field. If the professor likes the author, he might recommend them to another professor.
mateomy
Hey everyone,

Tomorrow I'll be meeting with an undergraduate professor (does work in Astrophysics/Astronomy) to discuss work as an undergrad for the quarter. I know it'll mostly be grunt work and I'm not harboring any illusions on that but, I have no idea what she'll ask me during this meeting. I assume one of the things would be why I'm signing up for undergrad research. My instinctive answer is "Because it's cool", but I know that won't fly. I was wondering if anybody has experience with this and what I should be looking forward to.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
mateomy said:
I assume one of the things would be why I'm signing up for undergrad research. My instinctive answer is "Because it's cool", but I know that won't fly.
Why won't that cut it?

I don't know, just feels too simple. Maybe I'm wrong?

Maybe I'm making too big a deal out of this. But I really want to be able to get my hands into some REAL science...however grunt-ish. So I'm stressing a little because I want to help.

Talk about anything relevant to his field you find interesting, and emphasize any strengths you might have (programming, experience with unix, writing ability, etc). Listen very closely to what he has to say, and don't be afraid to ask about anything you don't understand.

If you know of any common interests/hobbies you might have try to end the conversation on a positive note by talking about that. Even if he doesn't have anything for you he might recommend you to another professor if he likes you. That's what ended up happening for me.

I know. I've been picking up on Python and Shell Scripting the last year off and on when I have the time between my normal course load. I'm hoping that helps me look better.

1. What should I wear for the meeting?

It is important to dress professionally for a meeting with a professor. This means wearing appropriate business attire such as a suit or dress pants and a collared shirt. Avoid wearing anything too casual or revealing.

2. What should I bring to the meeting?

It is always a good idea to bring a copy of your resume and any relevant materials, such as transcripts or research papers, to the meeting. This will help the professor understand your background and qualifications.

3. What should I prepare to talk about during the meeting?

You should be prepared to discuss your academic interests, previous research experience, and why you are interested in working with this particular professor. It is also a good idea to have some questions prepared to ask the professor about their research and potential projects.

4. How should I approach the professor during the meeting?

Be respectful and professional when speaking with the professor. Introduce yourself and explain why you are interested in their research. Listen attentively and ask thoughtful questions. Remember to thank the professor for their time at the end of the meeting.

5. What should I do after the meeting?

Send a follow-up email to the professor thanking them for their time and reiterating your interest in working with them. You can also ask any additional questions you may have forgotten during the meeting. Be sure to check in with the professor periodically to show your continued interest in their research.