1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meeting with a Professor for Undergrad Research Tomorrow.

1. Aug 29, 2012 #1
    Hey everyone,

Tomorrow I'll be meeting with an undergraduate professor (does work in Astrophysics/Astronomy) to discuss work as an undergrad for the quarter. I know it'll mostly be grunt work and I'm not harboring any illusions on that but, I have no idea what she'll ask me during this meeting. I assume one of the things would be why I'm signing up for undergrad research. My instinctive answer is "Because it's cool", but I know that won't fly. I was wondering if anybody has experience with this and what I should be looking forward to.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2012 #2
    Why won't that cut it?

4. Aug 29, 2012 #3
    I don't know, just feels too simple. Maybe I'm wrong?

5. Aug 29, 2012 #4
    Maybe I'm making too big a deal out of this. But I really want to be able to get my hands into some REAL science...however grunt-ish. So I'm stressing a little because I want to help.

6. Aug 29, 2012 #5
    Talk about anything relevant to his field you find interesting, and emphasize any strengths you might have (programming, experience with unix, writing ability, etc). Listen very closely to what he has to say, and don't be afraid to ask about anything you don't understand.

If you know of any common interests/hobbies you might have try to end the conversation on a positive note by talking about that. Even if he doesn't have anything for you he might recommend you to another professor if he likes you. That's what ended up happening for me.

7. Aug 29, 2012 #6
    I know. I've been picking up on Python and Shell Scripting the last year off and on when I have the time between my normal course load. I'm hoping that helps me look better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook