• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Other Best way to get research experience for astrophysics?

I'm currently studying in a Canadian University(SFU). I've come to notice that the astronomy/physics portion here is lacking. There are a few astrophyics/cosmology research teams but they are small and encompass a few graduate students. I'm a first year, I really want to get involved in research as soon as possible in astrophysics. I talked to one of the professors who specializes in cosmology, and he said that I can come to the weekly cosmology meetings that we have. He as well talked about his current research (not sure if I'm allowed to disclose it), but basically improving the CMB image. He said he could adopt me and I could do "numerical calculations". My other friends have been adopted by interesting research groups, like quantum computing labs, biophysics, condensed matter etc. I just feel like I'm not getting the same opportunity as they are.

Although, I feel like that job of "numerical calculations" is more of a grunt job and it would not be beneficial for my research experience. I'm super motivated to do something meaningful but I just feel like I'm not getting the opportunity to.

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
is more of a grunt job
So if starting at the bottom doesn't work for you, what do you think would be the sort of task more suited to you? And who do you think should be doing the "grunt jobs"? If you say "the graduate students" are you willing to do this kind of work when you become one, or will it still be beneath you?

I think you might want to reassess the opportunities you are being provided and not turn your nose up on them in favor of other ones that you don't even have.

Choppy

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
It sounds to me like you're doing all the right things. And seriously, as a first year undergrad who's been invited into a cosmology group, you're far ahead of the curve as far as research opportunities go. Researchers can't really expect much output from early year undergraduates for the amount of time and effort they have to put in. Sometimes there is "grunt work" to be done, and so they'll take a chance on you. But the thing is if you get in and demonstrate that you're ready for more, opportunities will materialize.

And don't worry too much about comparing yourself to your friends.