Men Cleverer than Women, Say Scientists

Pengwuino said:
I thought it was the other way around. I mean that bit about the nobel prize thing does kinda confuse me. Last time i saw the list of recipients, it was mainly guys.
LOL who do you think is in charge of giving the awards

honestrosewater
Gold Member
loseyourname said:
You answered your own question. No one gets better at rotating multi-sided structures in their heads by practice. You can either do it or you cannot.
How do you know? People can't learn to predict how an image will look when rotated, maybe similar to the way a person can learn to predict the path of a thrown basketball? There are no tricks that people can learn? Perhaps mentally drawing in the axes or labelling certain areas helps. And I imagine these things would make an even bigger difference if the task is timed.

Oops, I hadn't seen quasar987's post.

Last edited:
selfAdjoint said:
The general result of studies in the US is that women are better at learningmathematics. The ratio of women to men among creative mathematicians is low but rising, and may reasonably attributed to social factors. The number of women historically among the most highly creative mathematicians is close to zero. The usually cited cases, Hypatia, Agnesi, Germaine, Kovalevsi, and Noether are only very good, not to be compared with the likes of Archimedes, Appolonius, Newton, Euler, Gauss, Riemann, Poincare, or Hilbert.
Oh, come on, we all know they became 'big' in the field because their girlfriends were helping them.

So do you think this scientist get's laid much after publishing stuff like this?

honestrosewater
Gold Member
The Smoking Man said:
Oh, come on, we all know they became 'big' in the field because their girlfriends were helping them.
:rofl: Mathematicians with girlfriends...
So do you think this scientist get's laid much after publishing stuff like this?
I think he'll get laid just as much as he did prior to publishing it.

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Psychologists aren't scientists, they are fantasists.

honestrosewater
Gold Member
arildno said:
Psychologists aren't scientists, they are fantasists.
I understand your, um, skepticism. I'm currently looking for a psychologist, and I think I have found one who is also a scientist. If you ever feel like challenging your opinion, I hope you'll http://www.drbobtampa.com/ [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to see a study on the average IQ of psychometricians.

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
quasar987 said:
In college, I had a course of 3-D drawing, and I feel like I'm better at imagining and rotating 3-d figures now than i was before.

why do you believe imagining 3-d is something you can or cannot do, but not learn and get better at?
Good question. I suppose I don't have any good reason, aside from the fact that I've always been able to visualize just about anything, including 3-D rotations, pretty easily, without any need for practice. Obviously, that doesn't exactly prove anything.

loseyourname said:
Good question. I suppose I don't have any good reason, aside from the fact that I've always been able to visualize just about anything, including 3-D rotations, pretty easily, without any need for practice. Obviously, that doesn't exactly prove anything.
There is also the factor of necessity and environment.

Take for example Kim's Game. People are able to improve their memory and their observation skills.

As far as scientific skills, if not exposed to scientific theory or practices, the terminology may become confusing. It was proven a number of years ago that many of the intelligence tests in use favoured upper middle class students however when the wording used in these tests or the subject matter, Ghetto children were often able to answer the questions. (ie. ask a kid about a lab and how one uses advanced equipment to produce a specific solution and he hasn't a clue ... ask him how to cut heroin and he can tell you to the gram)

3D imagery and rotation? Think about make-up and the illusions created by the effects as viewed from all angles... Okay and architect or a draftsman can rotate designs in their minds however a woman can envision abstracts of light, colour and shadow to alter a 3D image to produce an illusion of depth.

Besides, the other theory over depth perception is that women have a problem with distances because men keep telling them that 4" is 8". :biggrin:

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The Smoking Man said:
Besides, the other theory over depth perception is that women have a problem with distances because men keep telling them that 4" is 8". :biggrin:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: We're also used to numbers being totally meaningless and arbitrary, such as clothing sizes. Ask a woman if 8 is larger or smaller than 10 and she'll have to ask you which stores you bought each one at. :biggrin: