Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Mentally disabled adults learn lessons in love (article)

1. Feb 17, 2006 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2006 #2

Mk

I wouldn't want to go out with a retarded girl. Oh yeah, now retarded is mean.
    Wikipedia:
    I find etymology interesting.

4. Feb 18, 2006 #3

Nobody said you had to.

I think these people have the same right to be able to go out an have relationships and lives as we do though, whether or not they're disabled. I found it kind of heartwarming that someone actually took a big enough interest in them to help them achieve that goal. If they can form relationships with one another, in the long run their lives turn out healthier and more productive.

I agree.

5. Feb 18, 2006 #4

Mk

Yes, me too. But it may be a waste of time. Honestly, I don't think any of them will have a successful relationship.

6. Feb 18, 2006 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cosmina, I think that's wonderful. I love hearing stories like that. My little brother has developmental disorders, but he dates, and he goes through love and loss just like the rest of us.

7. Feb 18, 2006 #6

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I'm sure a girl with an IQ of 180 and the same sort of general temperament would say the same about you.

Retardation is relative.

BTW, I'm not meaning to be rude here. But extremely gifted adults have made no bones of the fact that they find it very difficult to interact socially with "average" people. In fact, it's even been said that meaningful and mutually satisfying relationships are impossible (or very unlikely) if the IQ gulf is greater than 30 points or so.

Just as you believe (probably justifiably) that it would be impossible for you to form a meaningful attachment with someone of severely impaired intellect, you must acknowledge that a highly superior intellect would feel the same about you.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  8. Feb 18, 2006 #7

Mk

And if I my IQ was 180 I'd rather go out with somebody else with a 180 IQ. I would think a mentally retarded person would have to go out with another mentally retarded person, because not many normal people would be readily attracted to... a retard. Actually I did see a TV show on TLC with a severely narcoleptic person try to date people. It was kind of depressing, but he did find a devoted girlfriend. She has to drive all the time, cook, work, etc.. because of his ailment.

Like its been said in GD, sometimes we have to settle for normal people, most of us here are very smart. Well, that's why we're here, a lot of us wish of more company of other learned people, and to have intelligent conversations, that may not be available with your friends that you play poker or go the bar with on Fridays.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  9. Feb 18, 2006 #8

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Those are fair points. There is some truth to "birds of a feather flock together".

10. Feb 19, 2006 #9

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I have been struck by the fact that as soon as divorce became even slightly possible in Western society - and long before it became socially acceptible - very creative men began to shed their wives and remarry. Einstein, Picasso, Frank LLoyd Wright, Enrnest Hemingway, and so on for several other examples. They usually went through three wives and what did they wind up with? In nearly all cases it was a motherly woman of no special IQ who took care of them and cosseted them. It is a fact of human existance that the more capable you are, the more your personal whims can overrule your evolutionary psychology.:eek:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?