Hello guys, this is my first ever reply to any post on this blog. I joined 3 days ago, My name is Josh. I don't know much about how IQ is calculated and what is its scientific bast but i want to tell me real life story. I scored between 55% to 58% in school exams for first 10 years of my schooling... in 10th Std i failed the prelim exams (exams conducted by the school itself just like real final exams that are conducted by the educational board whch awards diploma of 10 years of schooling) then I studied for 15 days 10 hrs a day and scored 65% but the IQ test my school conducted (which was compulsory for choosing the future educational field, I failed in it with 33% out of 100 marks...my parents were called and informed about it with a warning letter) (Frankly speaking I never give a damn to exams and studies in my entire life, I always was interested in the concept more and as i used to grasp the essence I used to stop right there..whereas rest of the students used to be in the competitive mode with each other so they used to study-and study and practice 100 times till they become perfect).
I wanted to become an engineer so with 65% marks I went to Engineering... I couldn't cope up in the first semester as i didnt have practice to sustain study load (not because my study concepts were unclear)and failed in all subjects of that semester... we had annual pattern so I continued schooling for the rest of the year, i studied well and scored good 88% when I finished my first year I was 16 years old... continued that pace for next 5 years become a Mechanical Engineer with 80% Now you may be wondering why i am telling you all this! Well, I never took studies seriously...i am a lazy person... and hate solving questions in an competitive manner like a mad race...so i procrastinate... read on! My real test of IQ was done only 2-3 times in my entire academic life...when I took TOEFL, GRE and GMAT... I scored 90% in all three exams... in GRE i was close to 100%! I also took 2 step entrance exam called IIT-JEE in India which is famous for its toughest tough exam in the world with huge syllabus and extremely tough questions...I could clear first test called screen test in IIT-JEE... anyway... what I want to cay is, IQ testing might be the most stupid thing on earth... it may only tell whether a student will fail or not in finishing his course intellectually or faulter...nothing else! for me EQ is more important than IQ... my IQ when I was 15 was much lower than the IQ i had at the age of 18 and lower than when I was 25-27! you might surprise, after the age 27 I read first science book in my life! and in last 5 years I have read some 4000 science books that's how I joined this forum as a self assumed physicist! So i can say, it can be increased later on! some efforts are really necessary to advance the IQ microscopically, its not an easy task I admit, because I took hell of efforts to improve myself ! i thing your existing IQ is related to your lifestyle... if you improve lifestyle(the way you utilize intellectual energy, it too improves! And hey, even Einstein was not a smart fella in his school days! ;)