1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Merry-go-round + sphere tied to rod

1. Nov 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A small 0.160 kg sphere is suspended by a light string from a vertical post mounted at the edge of a merry-go-round of radius R = 0.440 m.
    The equilibrium position of the sphere is shown in the figure, with a = 0.430 m and b = 0.760 m. The axis of rotation is indicated by the dashed line. Calculate the angular velocity of the merry-go-round.

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/2586/physicshelp.jpg [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution

This is where I'm getting stuck. I can't figure out where to start. I have an idea that this problem deals with Newton's 2nd law, but I don't know how to apply it this situation.

Would using the torque equation help?: [tex]\tau = F * r * sin\theta[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Follow standard procedure: Draw a free body diagram of the sphere, showing all the forces acting on it. (Hint: There are only two forces.) Key: What's the acceleration of the sphere? Then apply Newton's 2nd law.

(No need for torques.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook