Conservation of Angular Momentum of merry-go-round

In summary, the question asks for the new angular velocity of a merry-go-round after a child hops on. Using the equation Li = Lf, the moment of inertia for the child is calculated as 100kg*m^2 and the moment of inertia for the system is calculated as 350kg*m^2. Treating the child as a point-mass, the final angular velocity is calculated to be 7.14rpm. However, approximating the child's shape as a cylinder would result in a final angular velocity of 8.33rpm.
nx01

Homework Statement

A merry-go-round of radius 2m has a moment of inertia 250kg*m^2, and is rotating at 10rpm on a frictionless axle. Facing the axle and initially at rest, a 25kg child hops on the edge of the merry-go-round and manages to hold on. What will be the new angular velocity of the merry-go-round after the child jumps on?

Homework Equations

Li (system) = Lf (system)

The Attempt at a Solution

Let g = merry-go-round and c = child.

Li = Lf, so (IW)g-initial = (IW)g+c-final.

Solving for Ic:

Ic = mr^2 = (25kg)(2m)^2 = 100kg*m^s

Solving for Ig+c:

Ig+c = Ig + Ic = 350kg*m^s

Solving for final angular velocity of system:

W(g+c)-final = (IW)g-initial / Ig+c = [(250kg*m^2)(10rpm)] / 350kg*m^s = 7.14rpm.

My question is, should I be treating the child as a point-mass, allowing me to use I = mr^2 -- or should I approximate its shape in determining I? (Treating it as a cylinder - I = .5mr^2 - I get 8.33rpm.)

Any insight into this will be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi nx01! :smile:
nx01 said:
… should I be treating the child as a point-mass, allowing me to use I = mr^2

yes :smile:
-- or should I approximate its shape in determining I? (Treating it as a cylinder - I = .5mr^2 - I get 8.33rpm.)

no, it would be I = .5mr2 + mR2

where r and R are the radius of the cylinder and of the merry-go-round, respectively :wink:

Thank you!

1. What is the conservation of angular momentum of a merry-go-round?

The conservation of angular momentum of a merry-go-round refers to the principle that states the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless an external torque acts upon it. This means that the rotational motion of the merry-go-round will remain unchanged unless an outside force is applied.

2. How does the conservation of angular momentum apply to a merry-go-round?

The conservation of angular momentum applies to a merry-go-round because it is a rotating system. As the merry-go-round spins, the individual objects on it also have their own angular momentum. According to the principle, this angular momentum will remain constant unless an external torque, such as a person pushing on the merry-go-round, is applied.

3. Why is the conservation of angular momentum important in understanding the motion of a merry-go-round?

The conservation of angular momentum is important in understanding the motion of a merry-go-round because it helps us predict how the system will behave. By knowing that the total angular momentum will remain constant, we can make calculations and predictions about the speed and direction of the merry-go-round's rotation.

4. How does the speed of a merry-go-round affect its conservation of angular momentum?

The speed of a merry-go-round does not affect its conservation of angular momentum. As long as there is no external torque acting on the system, the total angular momentum will remain constant regardless of the speed at which the merry-go-round is spinning.

5. Can the conservation of angular momentum be violated on a merry-go-round?

Yes, the conservation of angular momentum can be violated on a merry-go-round if an external torque is applied. For example, if someone were to push the merry-go-round in the opposite direction of its rotation, the total angular momentum of the system would change. This could cause the merry-go-round to speed up, slow down, or change direction.