Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mesons other than quark-antiquark states?

1. Aug 27, 2015 #1
    Mesons: hadrons with integer spin, usually quark-antiquark states

I came across this statement in a pdf of a powerpoint. Unfortunately the presentation is so badly formatted (missing images, content overlapping content, etc.) that it's hard to follow and I can't see if he ever describes mesons that are not quark-antiquark states.

Are there mesons that aren't quark-antiquark pairs? The only definition I've ever seen is: Mesons are hadronic subatomic particles composed of one quark and one antiquark, bound together by the strong interaction. The only thing I can think of is that he might classify tetraquarks as mesons because of their integer spin?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It depends on the definition.

There are exotic states that could be tetraquarks, meson molecules or something else (and it's not clear if it makes sense to distinguish between those categories). The existence of something meson-like is clear, the interpretation is not.

Hypothetical glueballs could be called mesons as well.

4. Sep 2, 2015 #3

ohwilleke

Gold Member

Your definition can't really be true, since many mesons are linear combinations of multiple quark-antiquark states, most prosaically, neutral pions, but also for several other light pseudo-scalar mesons. This is also the case for essentially all true scalar mesons.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook