Quark/Gluon Ensemble In Hadron

In summary, the conversation is about the use of peer-reviewed texts and the speaker's access to a specific source regarding regular hadrons and their composition. They are curious about the consideration of color charges and the potential presence of virtual quarks in the composition of hadrons. The other speaker confirms that sea quarks were always considered in the proposed theory and that corrections from virtual particles must be taken into account. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing their gratitude for the response and giving an example of the fusion of sea antiquarks and quarks at the LHC.
_PJ_
I know the PF rules regarding using only peer reviewed texts, but in this case, it's the only source I have access to and I'm not trying to promote the content in any way, really I'm just trying to understand if it is actually saying what it seems to be.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1303.3752

Generally, all the (pop-science) texts I have read suggest that regular hadrons (such as Protons or Neutrons) are comprised simply of 3 quarks and the gluons that 'bind' (for want of a better word) them. I understand at least that there may be a high number of gluons (and generation of more through inputting energies these may result in the "string" qualities observed in some experiments).

I am curious, though as to if there is a consideration made in the paper that, with the colour charges balanced and all the available strong force from the gluons, there may be many other quark/antiquarks of colour combinations that effectively cancel out overall, leaving the same (UUD or DDU for example) 'excess'?

Is this 'correct'?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose I am adhering to something analogous to the "dressing" of an 'eectron', whereby something like electrons and positrons as well as numerous photons between them surround THE electron.
That amongst THE UUD or DDU quarks, along with all the gluons, there might be some 'virtual' quarks or somesuch?
Forgive me if I'm not making any sense or way off the mark, but that's why I need to ask these questions to hopefully improve my understanding!

Yes, sea quarks were always considered when QCD was proposed - by then, physicists were well aware that corrections from virtual particles must be accounted for.

Thanks so much for the swift response!

As an example, most W and Z bosons produced at the LHC come from the fusion of a sea antiquark from one proton with a quark (sea or valence) from the other one.

1. What is a quark/gluon ensemble in hadron?

A quark/gluon ensemble in hadron refers to the collection of quarks and gluons that make up a hadron, which is a composite particle made of two or more quarks. These particles interact through the strong nuclear force, which is mediated by gluons.

2. How are quark/gluon ensembles studied?

Quark/gluon ensembles are studied using particle colliders, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. These colliders accelerate particles to high energies and collide them, allowing scientists to study the behavior and interactions of quarks and gluons.

3. What is the significance of studying quark/gluon ensembles?

Studying quark/gluon ensembles is important for understanding the fundamental building blocks of matter and the strong nuclear force. It also helps us understand the behavior of matter in extreme conditions, such as in the early universe or inside neutron stars.

4. Can quark/gluon ensembles be created in a laboratory?

Yes, quark/gluon ensembles can be created in a laboratory using particle colliders. These collisions produce high-energy interactions that mimic the conditions of the early universe, allowing scientists to study the properties of quark/gluon ensembles.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying quark/gluon ensembles?

Studying quark/gluon ensembles has practical applications in fields such as nuclear physics, high-energy physics, and cosmology. It also has potential applications in developing new technologies, such as quantum computing and advanced materials.