Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Quark/Gluon Ensemble In Hadron

1. Dec 29, 2017 #1
    I know the PF rules regarding using only peer reviewed texts, but in this case, it's the only source I have access to and I'm not trying to promote the content in any way, really I'm just trying to understand if it is actually saying what it seems to be.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1303.3752

Generally, all the (pop-science) texts I have read suggest that regular hadrons (such as Protons or Neutrons) are comprised simply of 3 quarks and the gluons that 'bind' (for want of a better word) them. I understand at least that there may be a high number of gluons (and generation of more through inputting energies these may result in the "string" qualities observed in some experiments).

I am curious, though as to if there is a consideration made in the paper that, with the colour charges balanced and all the available strong force from the gluons, there may be many other quark/antiquarks of colour combinations that effectively cancel out overall, leaving the same (UUD or DDU for example) 'excess'?

Is this 'correct'?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2017 #2
    I suppose I am adhering to something analogous to the "dressing" of an 'eectron', whereby something like electrons and positrons as well as numerous photons between them surround THE electron.
    That amongst THE UUD or DDU quarks, along with all the gluons, there might be some 'virtual' quarks or somesuch?
    Forgive me if I'm not making any sense or way off the mark, but that's why I need to ask these questions to hopefully improve my understanding!

4. Dec 29, 2017 #3
    Yes, sea quarks were always considered when QCD was proposed - by then, physicists were well aware that corrections from virtual particles must be accounted for.

5. Dec 29, 2017 #4
    Thanks so much for the swift response!

6. Jan 2, 2018 #5

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

As an example, most W and Z bosons produced at the LHC come from the fusion of a sea antiquark from one proton with a quark (sea or valence) from the other one.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted