Metal Detectors: The Depths of the Ground

  • Thread starter Thread starter nanoswift
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Detectors Metal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
nanoswift
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Metal Detectors!

Guys I an Undergraduate student in Lancaster University (England) and I have a passion for metal detecting when I am not in UNI. Over the years I have spoke many of my lecturers and research staff about the depth of a metal detector and its soul destroying ability to pick up iron. Now so far I have been told that there is no other way of looking into the ground other than these
http://metaldetectingworld.com/reviews_pulse_metal_detector.shtml
http://whitesmetaldetector.com/spectrum.shtml

Believe me I am not ready to believe that there is no other way. Please if someone has a bright idea of how to make a new one using Solid State Physics or any other method, then please let me know! Thanks
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org


nanoswift said:
Guys I an Undergraduate student in Lancaster University (England) and I have a passion for metal detecting when I am not in UNI. Over the years I have spoke many of my lecturers and research staff about the depth of a metal detector and its soul destroying ability to pick up iron. Now so far I have been told that there is no other way of looking into the ground other than these
http://metaldetectingworld.com/reviews_pulse_metal_detector.shtml
http://whitesmetaldetector.com/spectrum.shtml

Believe me I am not ready to believe that there is no other way. Please if someone has a bright idea of how to make a new one using Solid State Physics or any other method, then please let me know! Thanks

My guess is that if anybody did have a bright new idea they would be looking into developing it and most reluctant to just give the idea away.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


There are other ways at looking into the ground. Ground-penetrating-radar is used fo ra lot of stuff, and increasingly popular among archaeologists.
 


Conductivity is what the MineLab company use, they are really good detectors but not very deep. The radar machine that the archaeologists use is not very effective because I knew one guy who spend £9500 to get one and it was rubbish and he couldn't even get his refund! So any other ideas?