Meteor detection/prediction: One over Toronto, ON, Canada

• B
  • Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
A vibrant fireball that flashed across the night sky in the early hours of Saturday morning passed over the skyline of Toronto, Canada, before colliding with Earth near Niagara Falls.
https://news.yahoo.com/videos-captured-fireball-flashing-across-041651291.html
The European Space Agency said the event marked only the sixth time in history the impact of a space object with Earth was successfully predicted. The agency said while most asteroid collisions with Earth are only discovered after the fact from evidence like craters, the number of occasions in which a space rock is detected before it strikes is growing.

In fact, all six detections have taken place since 2008, according to ESA, which said continued improvement in sky scanning telescopes will likely make detection of smaller objects — which frequently strike Earth — more common.

Large asteroids, on the other hand, are much easier to spot.

Saturday's fireball was anticipated by amateur and professional astronomers in the hours before it struck. The Minor Planet Center, which monitors asteroids, said a fast-moving object was detected by the Mount Lemmon Survey near Tucson, Arizona, triggering a "warning of an imminent impact."

@davenn

The MPC said seven observatories were able to spot the object before it entered the Earth's atmosphere at around 3:27 a.m. ET over Brantford, Ontario. The object was less than 1 meter in size, according to the ESA.

Debris might be found around Niagara Falls. I don't know if that is Ontario or NY Side. I wonder if it his the water, or on land.

• Informative
Likes DrClaude, Ibix and anorlunda

Answers and Replies

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Debris might be found around Niagara Falls. I don't know if that is Ontario or NY Side. I wonder if it his the water, or on land

cheers

Had an online meteorite sale in the weekend and several of my felloe collectors were
pondering at trip to the region. The only thing putting them off was the excessive snow
cover that would make it almost impossible to find anything

update ... well at least one has arrived out there
my friend "Meteorite Man" Steve Arnold

1669061362814.png

looking freakin cold !

Likes DennisN and dlgoff
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
@davenn
Have you added to your collection lately?

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
@davenn
Have you added to your collection lately?
hey mate

trust you are well. Hope your daughter hasn't been adding too many more grey hairs to you lately hahahah

Yes, another 14 new mets added last weekend at the Zoom online sale run by a friend of mine out of Arizona
There were about 27 of us attending and buying all sorts of meteorites :smile:

• Love
Likes dlgoff, berkeman and DennisN
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hope your daughter hasn't been adding too many more grey hairs to you lately
Not lately. But am hopeful she'll do well on her single engine commercial check-ride this coming Monday 12-5-22.

Suggested for: Meteor detection/prediction: One over Toronto, ON, Canada

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies