Why Do Fathers Experience Premature Graying?

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hair
In summary: but mostly because it's funny to see people's reactions when they realize that even though they might look "old", they're still pretty darn young when it comes to life experiences.fortunately my daughter inherited some of my fear of heights/falling ( self preservation) and she is very happy with just doing lots of mountain trail hikes
My daughter took a trip to Oregon. Here's what she emailed me with a few photos I'm sharing here:
The plane was a Grumman Tiger. It’s a low-wing plane with 180HP, just like a Cessna 172. The pictures were just from my phone. Most of those pictures were from flying above Wyoming and some Montana and Idaho
0965.jpg

3914.jpg

3925.jpg

• Love
Likes Wrichik Basu, DrClaude, Borek and 10 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Since I've gotten a couple likes, here are three more:
3890.jpg

3910.jpg

3913.jpg

Likes Wrichik Basu, Borek, OmCheeto and 6 others
Here are some more. I hope I haven't duplicated any:
3901.jpg

3917.jpg

3919.jpg

3889.jpg

3928.jpg

• Wow
Likes Wrichik Basu, collinsmark, OmCheeto and 3 others
If she wants, I'll fly with her to France.

A Grumman Tiger can make it. Honest!

The last French territories in North America are the islands of Saint-Pierre and Miquelon. It's just south of Newfoundland, and it has an airport, FSP. Four or five stops and maybe 20 hours in the air and you're there! Maybe six stops - I'd be inclined to refuel at Cape Breton so the last hop, which is over water, would be short.

• Love
Likes BillTre and dlgoff
By the way, if she can find the other Grumman Tiger, the F-11, it will make the trip much, much faster. Over the water we can even go supersonic. For maybe 10 minutes, and then sadly we have to land.

Vanadium 50 said:
By the way, if she can find the other Grumman Tiger, the F-11, it will make the trip much, much faster. ... Over the water we can even go supersonic.
Knowing her, she would love that.

BTW, she did fly this:

fly6.jpg

Likes Borg, Borek and berkeman
dlgoff said:
Now that's awesome. I'd love to go up in that.
I'm not sure there are any more 2-seat trainers available of the F-11 to fly, so your daughter will likely have to fly your wing and tell you which buttons to push when... :wink:

• Haha
Likes BillTre
berkeman said:
I'm not sure there are any more 2-seat trainers available of the F-11 to fly, so your daughter will likely have to fly your wing and tell you which buttons to push when... :wink:
Ix-nay on the eff-elevenay then.

• Haha
Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
so your daughter will likely have to fly your wing and tell you which buttons to push when...
Come to think of it, that flight would probably give her her first gray hairs. "Dad, do not push the Red Button, okay?! DAD! Do Not Push the Big Red Button!"

• Haha
Likes Borek and dlgoff
berkeman said:
DAD! Do Not Push the Big Red Button!
"Sweetie, your mother and I need to talk to you about your boyfriend. We feel..." SPROOOOING!

• Haha
Likes berkeman
dlgoff said:
I have missed out on a lot of beautiful skyscapes due to my fear of flying/heights and refusal to look out of the window.
These look amazing, especially where clouds look solid where you can just walk on them and bounce along.
Then I imagine being in the plane observing them first hand and my feet tingle and everything clenches!

• Love
Likes dlgoff
I'm getting a few gray hairs hoping my daughter does okay getting her single engine commercial license:
I’m working on my commercial license now. I have a checkride for it tentatively scheduled for December 5th but we’ll see.
Wish her luck.

• Love
Likes collinsmark, pinball1970 and berkeman
dlgoff said:
I'm getting a few gray hairs hoping my daughter does okay getting her single engine commercial license:

Wish her luck.
I just got this from my daughter today:
Passed the checkride just fine. All done.
Now she has her single engine commercial license.

Likes pinball1970, Borek, BillTre and 2 others
dlgoff said:
Now she has her single engine commercial license.
Awesome, tell her congrats from the PF community! :smile:

Is the single-engine commercial license a stepping stone to multi-engine commercial pilot for a career? Does she know yet where she wants to go with her great skills?

berkeman said:
Awesome, tell her congrats from the PF community! :smile:

Is the single-engine commercial license a stepping stone to multi-engine commercial pilot for a career? Does she know yet where she wants to go with her great skills?
I will relay PF's congrats. I don't think she will be going for multi-engine. She is still taking college courses so I'm not sure what she wants to do now, other than she can get paid for taking folks to their destinations.

Likes pinball1970 and berkeman
The next stepping stone is flight instructor. Some flight instruct because they like to teach, others do it to build hours. Multi-engine is another step. The big step is airline transport pilot - that requires 1500 hours flying time.

Getting the commercial license is a big step that she will never forget. I got mine back in 1975, and still remember.

Likes dlgoff and berkeman
jrmichler said:
The next stepping stone is flight instructor.
I'm thinking that would be a good possibility. I will certainly mention that to her. Thanks.

I think the next stepping stone for your Little Angel is Blue Angel. :smile:

jrmichler said:
The next stepping stone is flight instructor. Some flight instruct because they like to teach, others do it to build hours.
I emailed my daughter about this. I'll let you know what she thinks when she replies.

I don't know what the Blue Angels are flying these days. Presumably Hornets. I'm sure your daughter would have fun in one.

Likes dlgoff
jrmichler said:
Getting the commercial license is a big step that she will never forget. I got mine back in 1975, and still remember.
I emailed her this. I'm sure she will appreciate it.

Likes jrmichler and berkeman
Here are two photos that my daughter sent me:
thumbnail_IMG_3181.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3183.jpg

Likes collinsmark, berkeman and Borg
dlgoff said:
Here are two photos that my daughter sent me:
View attachment 318368
View attachment 318369
These are great pics, five years ago she was rock climbing pretty difficult routes with no fear.
Joy in fact. Amazing kid.

• Love
Likes dlgoff
pinball1970 said:
Amazing kid.
Yes. I don't know why I was so lucky.

Likes berkeman
dlgoff said:
As the saying goes, "The apple doesn't fall from the airplane." :smile:

Er, wait, that doesn't sound quite right...

• Haha
Likes dlgoff, Borg and collinsmark
dlgoff said:
Probably genetics.

Likes dlgoff and berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
Probably genetics.
Thank you Sir.

Likes berkeman
Or you could blame it on her mother (probably a joint effort though).:olduhh:

Tom.G said:
blame
I wouldn't say blame. It was a good thing.

Likes pinball1970 and Tom.G
I'm getting a lot of gray hairs hoping my daughter does well with getting her BS in:
Aviation & Aerospace Science, following the school’s Professional Flight Officer program (for pilots)

Oh wow. Which university? I hadn't heard of that BS program before.