Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meteorological curiosity - "volcano tornado"

1. Sep 11, 2014 #1

Dotini

Gold Member

Viewers will be amused at the slender vortex snaking 3300' above the Iceland volcano, seen here in infrared video. Said to be similar to a "fire tornado", the Icelandic Met Office officially refers to the strange phenomenon as "wind anomalies from thermal convection."

http://www.livescience.com/47742-volcano-tornado-iceland-eruption-holuhraun.html
    "We haven't seen anything like this before"

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2014 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

cool ! :)

don't think I have seen one related to a volcano before ... seen too many videos to remember haha

but these are quite common in bush fires we see here in Australia ... as commented, called firenadoes
    I suspect the formation of them is very similar

cheers
    Dave

4. Jun 9, 2015 #3

Dotini

Gold Member

Another meteorological curiosity - an amazing supercell with two simultaneous tornadoes. The one on the left is said anticyclonic, the one on the right cyclonic.

simla-supercell-kelly-delay.jpg
    This phenomenal storm, with two tornadoes spinning simultaneously, was photographed late last week near Simla, Colo. (Kelly DeLay)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...e-amazing-supercell-two-incredible-tornadoes/

Simultaneous aurora and lightning, from today's space weather.com
    mn_strip.jpg

"I've never seen auroras and lightning visible side by side before," marvels Chester. "These photos were taken between 2 and 3 am on Monday, June 8th."

At about the same time in Hartford, Wisconsin, Jake Stehli witnessed a similar display. "The auroras were visible to the naked eye with lightning in a thunderhead on the horizon as well," he says.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  5. Jun 9, 2015 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

awesome storm .... have 2 friends that have just got home to Oz from 3 weeks in the USA stormchasing. I just haven't had the money, health or available annual leave
    to travel over there for the last few years :frown: I so miss my chase trips to the USA

twin and multi tornadoes for a single cell are common, not sure about the counter circulations tho ?
    The other wild scenario is when a main tornado funnel starts producing multiple vortices around it that sometimes become large enough to be called a signif tornados in their own right ... then we have "sisters"

a pic from my chaser friend Reed Timmer ...

Tornado-multivortex.jpg

dunno who this one is from ?? ... would credit if I could ( not mine)

Multi-tornado.png

Dave

6. Jun 21, 2015 #5
    I expect the Australian ones go round the other way though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook