Meteorology - USA Lower 48 National Winds Pattern Map Website

In summary, the conversation discusses a website that provides a continuously updated animated map of wind patterns throughout the continental US. This map can be used to predict pollen levels for those with allergies and also shows the location and speed of winds at any given point. The website also offers the ability to zoom in and view high and low pressure cells. Additionally, the conversation mentions another website that shows winds on a fully rotatable globe.
JBA
Science Advisor
Gold Member
For those interested but may not have found before, the below site provides a continuously updated animated map of wind pattern throughout the continental US

PS I have a serious allergic reaction to a species of tree that grows NW of my location and during their pollination period I use this map as one tool to help predict increased pollen levels here.

Edit:
By placing the arrow at any point it instantly gives the location coordinates and wind speed at that location; and by clicking on that location you zoom in as close as you want.
If you want to know where the high and low pressure cells are located, this is the place to go.

http://hint.fm/wind/

Likes TeethWhitener, jim mcnamara, BillTre and 1 other person
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Wow, I had no idea the center of the US is so windy! Is it always like that?

berkeman said:
Wow, I had no idea the center of the US is so windy! Is it always like that?

No. They have some historical pictures.

1. What is the purpose of the USA Lower 48 National Winds Pattern Map Website?

The purpose of this website is to provide a visual representation of the wind patterns across the lower 48 states in the United States. It is a useful tool for meteorologists and weather enthusiasts to track and analyze wind movements in real-time.

2. How often is the map on the website updated?

The map is updated every hour with the latest data from National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) weather stations.

3. What information can be obtained from the map?

The map displays the direction and speed of the wind at various locations across the USA. It also includes color-coded arrows to indicate wind speed and a legend for reference.

4. Can the map be customized?

Yes, users can customize the map by selecting specific layers such as wind speed, temperature, pressure, and more. They can also zoom in and out to focus on a particular region.

5. Is the website accessible on mobile devices?

Yes, the website is mobile-friendly and can be accessed on any device with an internet connection. It is also optimized for different screen sizes for a better user experience.

Back