Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Method of Indicators for computing expectation

1. Sep 28, 2010 #1

I have the following problem: Suppose you have a coin that has chance p of landing heads. Suppose you flip the coin n times and let X denote the number of 'head runs' in n flips. A 'head run' is defined as any sequence of heads. For example the sequence HHTHHHHHTTTTHHTHT contains 4 head runs. Given this information, compute E[X] and Var[X].

I cannot understand how to set up the indicator method that will allow me to solve this problem quickly.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2010 #2
    Define [tex]X_i = 1[/tex] if flip i is the start of a run of heads,
    [tex]= 0[/tex] otherwise.

To find E[X] you will need to compute [tex]E[\sum X_i][/tex].

To find Var[X] you will need to compute, in addition, [tex]E[\sum X_i X_j][/tex], where the sum runs over all pairs i, j with i < j.
  4. Sep 30, 2010 #3
    Seems interesting, but hard problem. I suspect that the indicator method does not work in case of p [tex]\neq[/tex] 1/2. It is easier to consider a fair coin with p=1/2 at the beginning.
  5. Oct 1, 2010 #4
    After a messy, lengthy calculations (not the indicator method) an unexpectedly simple formula for the E(x) occurred:

E(x)=p*(p+n*q) ; q=1-p

I was shocked!! Indeed, there must be a simple probabilistic approach that replaces involved calculations and hard analysis. Maybe really the indicator method. Still needs to think about this problem.
  6. Oct 1, 2010 #5
    E(X1)=p and E(Xi)=pq for i>1 so E(X) = p+(n-1)pq = p^2 + npq
  7. Oct 2, 2010 #6
    Nice one bpet!!!

I would not come into this as soon. Do you have a clue how to determine E(Xi*Xj) now, to calculate Var(X)?
  8. Oct 2, 2010 #7
    Thanks! Similar way, more cases to consider e.g. j=i, j=i+1, j>i+1.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook