1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expected Value: Coin flip not same as previous flip

1. Mar 15, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given a sequence of Heads and Tails, let’s say that the sequence has a switch each time one toss is different than the toss before it. For instance, the sequence HHTHTTTHTH has 6 switches.

Suppose you toss a fair coin N times and record the resulting sequence of Heads and Tails. If X is the number of switches in the sequence, find E(X).

2. Relevant equations
    We are assuming that the expected value, E(X) = ∑x_i*P(X=x_i) (the sum of each element of X, multiplied by the respective probability of that element occurring)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand that this is going to have something to do with the number of heads and tails in the sequence and the relationship between the two. Clearly 2/n of the sequences have 0 switches, and 2/n of the sequences have n-1 switches, however I'm unsure of how to work out the values in between in general.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2017 #2
    it's rather simple. use E(X+Y)=E(X)+E(Y)

4. Mar 16, 2017 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you see how to do it without doing any calculations? Hint: what is the expected number of Heads in a sequence of tosses?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted