Methods for showing divergence of $\sum_{1}^{\infty} ln(1+\frac{1}{n})$?

• MHB
  • Thread starter ognik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ln Series
In summary, there is a discussion about whether the series $ \sum_{1}^{\infty} ln(1+\frac{1}{n}) $ converges. The limit comparison test is used, but the ratio test is also explored. Two additional methods are suggested to show divergence, involving telescoping partial sums and the integral of ln(x).
ognik
Does\: $ \sum_{1}^{\infty} ln(1+\frac{1}{n}) $\: converge?
I tried the limit comparison test with bn=1/n and got that it diverges, which also looks right.
However I also tried the ratio test:
$ \lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} \left| \frac{{a}_{n+1}}{{a}_{n}} \right| = \lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} \left| \frac{\ln\left({1+\frac{1}{n+1}}\right)}{\ln\left({1+\frac{1}{n}}\right)} \right| = ? $
I have edited my original post because I had, thoughtlessly, used Ln a/Ln b = Ln (a-b), which is a silly mistake, of course that's not true.
Actually one should use L'Hositals rule to simplify this, which I am currently busy with :-).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Using L'H rule I got that limit = 1, which is inconclusive for the ratio test, so the limit comparison test seems the only way to do this one.

Hi ognik,

ognik said:
so the limit comparison test seems the only way to do this one.

Limit comparison test certainly works. Thought I might offer two other methods that do as well:

1) Write $\ln\left(1+\frac{1}{n}\right)=\ln\left(\frac{n+1}{n}\right)=\ln(n+1)-\ln(n),$ then use a sequence of telescoping partial sums to show divergence.

2) It's useful to note that
$$\ln(x)=\int_{1}^{x}\frac{1}{t}dt$$
From this it follows that
$$\ln\left(1+\frac{1}{n}\right)=\int_{1}^{1+\frac{1}{n}}\frac{1}{t}dt\geq \frac{1}{n+1},$$
where the inequality holds from the shape of the graph of $f(t)=\frac{1}{t}.$

Hopefully this has been helpful. If not, feel free to disregard this. Let me know if anything is unclear/not quite right.

GJA said:
Hi ognik,
Limit comparison test certainly works. Thought I might offer two other methods that do as well:

1) Write $\ln\left(1+\frac{1}{n}\right)=\ln\left(\frac{n+1}{n}\right)=\ln(n+1)-\ln(n),$ then use a sequence of telescoping partial sums to show divergence.

2) It's useful to note that
$$\ln(x)=\int_{1}^{x}\frac{1}{t}dt$$
From this it follows that
$$\ln\left(1+\frac{1}{n}\right)=\int_{1}^{1+\frac{1}{n}}\frac{1}{t}dt\geq \frac{1}{n+1},$$
where the inequality holds from the shape of the graph of $f(t)=\frac{1}{t}.$

Hopefully this has been helpful. If not, feel free to disregard this. Let me know if anything is unclear/not quite right.

Both are useful and appreciated, thanks.

1. What does it mean for a ln series to converge?

A ln series is said to converge if the sum of its terms approaches a finite limit as the number of terms increases. This means that the series has a well-defined value and does not diverge to infinity.

2. How can I determine if a ln series converges?

The convergence of a ln series can be determined by applying the ratio or root test. These tests compare the terms of the series to the terms of a known convergent series to determine if the series converges or diverges.

3. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence for a ln series?

A ln series is absolutely convergent if the sum of the absolute values of its terms converges. A series is conditionally convergent if it is convergent but not absolutely convergent. This means that the series converges, but the sum of the absolute values of its terms diverges.

4. Can a ln series converge and diverge at the same time?

No, a ln series can either converge or diverge, but not both. However, a series can be conditionally convergent, meaning it converges but not absolutely, as mentioned in the previous question.

5. What are some common examples of ln series that converge?

Some common examples of ln series that converge include the natural logarithm series, the geometric series, and the alternating harmonic series. These series have well-defined values and do not diverge to infinity.