Is the series $ \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^2} $ converges?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the integral test on the Riemann zeta series and its convergence for different values of p. It was noted that the zeta function is valuable in other aspects of math and physics, and the different representations for it are probably useful in different situations. The question was raised about why the book uses the zeta function to compare with, instead of the p series, and it was concluded that it is just a matter of notation. The conversation also briefly touched on the partial sum of the p series, with the conclusion that there is no specific formula, only methods to estimate its upper and lower bounds.
ognik
Hi - just done the integral test on the Riemann zeta series, came out to $\frac{1}{p-1}$

I can clearly see it therefore converges for P > 1, is singular for p=1, but for p < 1 I can't see why it diverges? In the limit p < 1 just gets smaller?

Would also like to check about p = 1, all I need do is say $\frac{1}{0}=\infty, \therefore$ it diverges, right?
---------------------
Continuing to explore the zeta function...

Test for convergence $ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2n(2n+1)} $

I did this using the ratio test, how can I do it using the comparison test and zeta function?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ognik said:
Hi - just done the integral test on the Riemann zeta series, came out to $\frac{1}{p-1}$

I can clearly see it therefore converges for P > 1, is singular for p=1, but for p < 1 I can't see why it diverges? In the limit p < 1 just gets smaller?

Would also like to check about p = 1, all I need do is say $\frac{1}{0}=\infty, \therefore$ it diverges, right?
---------------------
Continuing to explore the zeta function...

Test for convergence $ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2n(2n+1)} $

I did this using the ratio test, how can I do it using the comparison test and zeta function?
$\displaystyle \frac{1}{2n(2n+1)} = \frac{1}{4n^2+2n} \le \frac{1}{4n^2} \le \frac{1}{n^2}$.

ognik said:

We know that $n^p < n$ for all $ p < 1 $. Hence we have

$$ \sum \frac{1}{n^p} > \sum \frac{1}{n}$$

We already know from the integral test that the harmonic series diverges.

Guest said:
$\displaystyle \frac{1}{2n(2n+1)} = \frac{1}{4n^2+2n} \le \frac{1}{4n^2} \le \frac{1}{n^2}$.
Thanks. The book talks about comparing with $ \zeta(2) $ which looks the same as the p series with p=2, except I seem to remember there is something deeper with the zeta function than the p series? (Even if not relevant for this exercise :-))

ognik said:
Thanks. The book talks about comparing with $ \zeta(2) $ which looks the same as the p series with p=2, except I seem to remember there is something deeper with the zeta function than the p series? (Even if not relevant for this exercise :-))

There are many representations for the zeta function. For example we have the integral representation

$$\zeta(s) = \frac{1}{\Gamma(s)}\int^{\infty}_0 \frac{t^{s-1}}{e^{t}-1}\, dt $$

The most general definition is the zeta functional equation

$$\zeta(s) = 2^s\pi^{s-1}\ \sin\left(\frac{\pi s}{2}\right)\ \Gamma(1-s)\ \zeta(1-s)$$

This represents an analytic continuation of the zeta function to the whole complex plain.

ZaidAlyafey said:
There are many representations for the zeta function. For example we have the integral representation

$$\zeta(s) = \frac{1}{\Gamma(s)}\int^{\infty}_0 \frac{t^{s-1}}{e^{t}-1}\, dt $$

The most general definition is the zeta functional equation

$$\zeta(s) = 2^s\pi^{s-1}\ \sin\left(\frac{\pi s}{2}\right)\ \Gamma(1-s)\ \zeta(1-s)$$

This represents an analytic continuation of the zeta function to the whole complex plain.
The recursive definition isn't calculable for all complex s. s can't be calculated between -1 and 1, and is divergent for any positive integer s.

-Dan

Thanks guys, I was aware the zeta function is valuable in other aspects of math and physics, and the different representations for it are probably useful in different situations, but in this case we are dealing with reals, so to rephrase my question - why does the book use the zeta function - $\zeta(2)$ to compare with, instead of the p series $\frac{1}{n^2}$?

If the zeta is a 'better' answer, I'd like to understand why ; or alternately what is wrong with the p series in this situation?
Thanks

topsquark said:
The recursive definition isn't calculable for all complex s. s can't be calculated between -1 and 1, and is divergent for any positive integer s.

-Dan

I think you are right. We can continue the zeta function to the right half plain except at $s=1$ through the equation

$$\zeta(s)=(1-2^{1-s})^{-1} \sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{n^s} $$

- - - Updated - - -

ognik said:
Thanks guys, I was aware the zeta function is valuable in other aspects of math and physics, and the different representations for it are probably useful in different situations, but in this case we are dealing with reals, so to rephrase my question - why does the book use the zeta function - $\zeta(2)$ to compare with, instead of the p series $\frac{1}{n^2}$?

If the zeta is a 'better' answer, I'd like to understand why ; or alternately what is wrong with the p series in this situation?
Thanks

We know that the p series is defined as

$$S_p = \sum \frac{1}{n^p }$$

But we know that for $p>1$ we can say that $S_p = \zeta(p)$ so this is just a matter of notation because the zeta function is famous.

ZaidAlyafey said:
But we know that for $p>1$ we can say that $S_p = \zeta(p)$ so this is just a matter of notation because the zeta function is famous.
Thanks for that confirmation. An afterthought - is there a different formula for the (partial) sum of the p series? I have only found methods to estimate its upper and lower bounds

What is the Zeta function integral test?

The Zeta function integral test is a mathematical tool used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. It involves integrating the series term-by-term and comparing it to the integral of the corresponding term in the Zeta function.

How is the Zeta function integral test used?

The Zeta function integral test is used to determine whether an infinite series converges or diverges. If the integral of the corresponding Zeta function term is convergent, then the original series is also convergent. If the integral is divergent, then the original series is also divergent.

What is the Zeta function?

The Zeta function is a mathematical function that is defined as the infinite sum of the reciprocal of the powers of natural numbers. It is closely related to the Riemann Zeta function, which is used in number theory and has important connections to the distribution of prime numbers.

What are some applications of the Zeta function integral test?

The Zeta function integral test is primarily used in mathematics and physics to determine the convergence or divergence of infinite series. It has applications in areas such as number theory, harmonic analysis, and quantum field theory.

Are there any limitations to the Zeta function integral test?

Yes, there are some limitations to the Zeta function integral test. It can only be used for series with positive terms, and it may not always provide a conclusive result for alternating series. Additionally, it may not work for series with complex terms or series that do not have a corresponding term in the Zeta function.