Integral Test: Convergence/Divergence of $\sum_{x=2}^\infty (\ln x)^{-1}$

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
bp_psy
Messages
469
Reaction score
8

Homework Statement

Determine convergence or divergence using the integral test for.
[tex]\sum _{x=2}^{\infty } \left( \ln \left( x \right) \right) ^{-1}[/tex]

Homework Equations

i should take the limit as b goes to infinity of

[tex]\int _{2}^{b}\! \left( \ln \left( x \right) \right) ^{-1}{dx}[/tex]

The problem is that the function is not integrable.I know there was trick show that it is divergent but I don't remember what it was.

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you say it isn't integrable, do you mean the integral diverges or that you can't find an antiderivative?

The integral and the series converge or diverge togther.
 
LCKurtz said:
When you say it isn't integrable, do you mean the integral diverges or that you can't find an antiderivative?

The integral and the series converge or diverge togther.

I can't find the antiderivative. Maple give's me [tex]-{\it Ei} \left( 1,-\ln \left( x \right) \right)[/tex] and i don't know what it means. I am currently doing cal 3 but I think remember this exercise from cal 2. Is there any other test that I could use to show the divergence?
 
ln(2n) = n*ln(2) < n so 1/ln(2n) > 1/n if that helps.
 
Bohrok said:
I would do a comparison with 1/√x.

Thanks. It is divergent by the comparison test.