Methods of Sending Notifications to Mobile Devices.

• Thread starter Vectorspace17
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mobile
In summary, the conversation is about someone asking for help on finding methods to send an SMS or email notification from a monitoring device to a mobile phone without being connected to a WiFi network. They have researched and found that going through a service provider is the only viable option and considered sending an email instead, but it does not meet the required parameters.
Vectorspace17
I'm in the process of prototyping a monitoring device. When certain conditions are met, I need to send a SMS or comparable type of message to a mobile phone. My issue is that I don't really have any ideas on how to do that. I've tried to find answers in other places, but I haven't been able to find what I need. Can someone tell me what kind of methods are available for accomplishing this goal? Thank you.

I'm not sure if this is the right section for this question. If it's not, I apologize and I will remove it and post it in the appropriate section.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello vectorspace, what is it exactly that you are trying to monitor? Can you provide an example?

To send SMS you need a mobile, or some equivalent device using SIM (subscriber identification module) card.

Likes 1 person
In my former life as a software dev we looked into this, but as a caveat take my knowledge with a grain of salt as this was 5ish years ago.
What we found is there isn't a simple and easy way to do this without going through some sort of provider. A quick google of SMS service should bring up a few result for you to look into.
it used to be, back in the day, that most cell providers had a web-portal where you could send a text to someone on their network. However with the rise of spam texts they were quickly shut down. This is the same reason as to why most providers won't let you directly interface with them to send texts as well. They've offloaded the verification process as to whether you are a spammer or not onto other trusted companies.

Another method that you might want to look into is instead of sending a text why not send an email? Most, if not all, phones these days have the ability to get email and what not.

As a fun side note for my senior year electrical engineering design project we are building a remote monitoring rig that will push the data to an offsite repository, this repository will then decide what to do with the data and if there is a critical issue email alerts will be sent out.

Likes 1 person
cpscdave said:
most cell providers had a web-portal

instead of sending a text why not send an email?

Both those methods require web access. That means - in remote places - using a modem or mobile. So technically it is not much different from what I wrote earlier.

Thank you all for your help. I had looked into this quite a bit, but I wasn't sure if there were other solutions that I hadn't some across. I was thinking that I would have to go through a service provider to accomplish this task and it seems that's the only viable option. I had considered sending an email notification instead, but the parameters I've been tasked with meeting require the device to be able to function without being connected to a WiFi network.

1. What are the different methods of sending notifications to mobile devices?

The most common methods of sending notifications to mobile devices include push notifications, SMS text messages, and email. Other methods include in-app notifications, voice calls, and social media notifications.

2. How do push notifications work?

Push notifications are messages that are delivered to a user's device from a remote server. They are typically used for real-time updates and can contain text, images, or links. The user must have the app downloaded and have allowed push notifications for them to receive these messages.

3. What is the advantage of SMS notifications?

SMS notifications have a much higher open rate compared to other methods, as most people have their phones with them at all times. They also do not require an internet connection, making them a reliable option for urgent or time-sensitive notifications.

4. Can email notifications be sent to mobile devices?

Yes, email notifications can be sent to mobile devices through the use of email apps or push notifications for email. However, they may not always be as effective as other methods, as they require an internet connection and may get lost among other emails in a user's inbox.

5. Is it possible to send notifications to multiple mobile devices simultaneously?

Yes, it is possible to send notifications to multiple devices at once using various methods such as push notifications, SMS messages, and email. This is especially useful for businesses or organizations that need to reach a large number of users at the same time.