1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metric-spaces, equicontinuity, proof

1. Mar 15, 2014 #1
    Hi, can you please check if my proof is correct?

Proposition
    Assume that a sequence of continuous functions [itex]\{f_n\}[/itex] converges uniformly to [itex]f[/itex].
    [itex]f_n: A\rightarrow B[/itex]. Also assume that [itex]A[/itex] is compact.
    Then [itex]\{f_n\}[/itex] is equicontinuous.

Proof:
    Given an [itex]\epsilon[/itex] we must find a [itex]\delta[/itex] so that if [itex]x,y \in A,d_A(x,y)< \delta[/itex], then [itex]d_B(f_n(x),f_n(y))<\epsilon[/itex], for all [itex]n[/itex], and for all [itex]x,y[/itex].

Given [itex]\epsilon[/itex]. There exists an [itex]N[/itex] such that [itex]d_B(f_n(x),f(x))<\epsilon/3[/itex] for all [itex]n\ge N[/itex] and all [itex]x \in A[/itex].
    Since f must be continuous and A is compact, f is uniformly continuous. So there exists a [itex]\delta^*[/itex] so that if [itex]d_A(x,y)<\delta^*\rightarrow d_B(f(x),f(y))<\epsilon/3[/itex]
    For each [itex]i, i <N[/itex], there is a [itex]\delta_i[/itex], so that if [itex]d_A(x,y)<\delta_i \rightarrow d_B(f_i(x),f_i(y))<\epsilon[/itex]. This must be, because each [itex]f_n[/itex] must be uniformly continuous on the compact space A.
    Choose [itex]\delta = min\{\delta^*,\delta_1,\delta_2,\delta_{N-1}\}[/itex].

Now, for any n, if [itex]d_A(x,y)<\delta \rightarrow d_B(f_n(x),f_n(y))< \epsilon[/itex]. This is so, because if [itex]n < N[/itex] it obviously holds, if [itex]n \ge N[/itex] we have:
    [itex]d_B(f_n(x),f_n(y)) \le d_B(f_n(x),f(x))+d_B(f(x),f(y))+d_B(f(y),f_n(y))< \epsilon/3+\epsilon/3+\epsilon/3 = \epsilon[/itex].

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

There are some typo's in your proof, but aside from that, the idea seems to be entirely correct.

4. Mar 15, 2014 #3
    Thanks, do you know if the statement is correct or not?(it could actually be false) It is the "converse"(not entirely converse, some assumptions are omitted) of a statement I read in a book, so I am not entirely sure if it is correct. The original proof states that if the funcitons converges pointwise on a dense subset of A, and A is compact, B is complete, and the functions are equicontinuous, then it converges uniformly on A. So this is kind of the converse of that.

5. Mar 15, 2014 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The statement is absolutely correct. In fact, if you're familiar with function spaces like ##\mathcal{C}([a,b])## with the uniform norm, then you can prove that compactness is equivalent to being equicontinuous and being closed and being pointswise bounded. This is the Arzela-Ascoli theorem. In particular, if ##f_n\rightarrow f## uniformly, then

[tex]\{f_n~\vert~n\}\cup \{f\}[/tex]

is equicontinuous. So it remains equicontinuous if we leave out ##f##.

6. Mar 15, 2014 #5
    Thanks, yes it is the "converse" of a lemma in the book, leading up to Arzela-Ascoli theorem. However I wasn't able to use that theorem on it directly, because the theorem in the book was stated only for [itex]C(X,R^m)[/itex], where X is compact, but in this lemma, Y can be any complete space. But beside from that if you want to show that [itex]\{f_n\}[/itex] is equicontinuous using the arzela-ascoli theorem, then you also have to show that that [itex]\{f_n\}[/itex] is compact, and I presume that is hard?

7. Mar 15, 2014 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

No, that is actually very easy in this case if you use the right definition (= open cover definition). You have in any metric space ##X## that if ##x_n\rightarrow x##, then ##\{x_n~\vert~n\}\cup \{x\}## is compact.

8. Mar 15, 2014 #7
    Ah, cool thanks. But the proposition in the first post would then follow from Arzela-Ascoli if B was [itex]R^n[/itex]? Because then [itex]\{f_n\}[/itex] is compact, and hence equicontinuous. But you agree that I can't use the theorem directly when B is any space, or even if B is complete?(A is compact no matter what.)

9. Mar 15, 2014 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Do they state Arzela-Axcoli only for ##B=\mathbb{R}^n##? It's true in a far greater generality. For example, there is a version of the theorem for ##B## an arbitrary metric space.

10. Mar 15, 2014 #9
    Yeah, here is the theorem:
    theorem.png

Could you change [itex]R^m[/itex] with something more general here?

11. Mar 15, 2014 #10

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

12. Mar 15, 2014 #11
    Thanks, I am taking real analysis and have not taken topology, so I must admit I do not understand much of that.
    But if I want to generalize the theorem in my book. The link from Wikipedia says:
    Now this link says that all metric spaces are Hausdorff spaces:
    http://math.stackexchange.com/quest...ll-metric-spaces-are-hausdorff-spaces-correct So that is fine. The problem is the "f is pointwise relatively compact", I guess that if B= [itex]R^m[/itex] "bounded" implies "pointwise relatively compact". But that maybe if B is only a complete metric space, or arbirary metric space, "bounded" may not imply "pointwise relatively compact".

EDIT: I see that for my original question this may not affect it. Because it is on the other side of the equivalence. So that if we start by saying that [itex]\{f_n\}[/itex] converge uniformly to f, and that A is compact, we must have that the limit is continuous, so that limit is in C(A,B). The open covering property says that [itex]f_n\cup f[/itex] is compact. And since we are on the left side of the Arzela-Ascoli(Metric->Hausdorff) we get that they all must be equicontinious, and we remove f?, så all [itex]f_n[/itex] are equicontinuous?

Thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted