1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Michelson-Gale-Pearson Refutation of Stokes-Planck - Help

1. Apr 16, 2014 #1
    I'm hoping for some help in understanding how the Michelson-Gale-Pearson experiment in 1925 is held as a refutation of the Stokes-Planck theory of gravitational aether drag.

If I understand the Stokes-Planck theory correctly, complete dragging of the aether near a sufficiently massive body (diminishing at distance, in accordance to the inverse square law as it applies to gravitational force) would be essentially indistinguishable from a complete dragging model. Wouldn't it also be indistinguishable from a non-aetheric model?
    Didn't Michelson-Gale-Pearson support that?

What am I missing?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2014 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This should be posted in the Special & General Relativity forum.

4. Apr 16, 2014 #3
    I wasn't sure, because the Stokes-Planck theory was a classical interpretation that pre-dated Relativity - and, if it were accepted, would have stood in opposition to Relativity.

Can I move it, or does a moderator have to?

5. Apr 18, 2014 #4
    Can a moderator move this to the Relativity sub-forum, please?
    Maybe it will get a response there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook