Why does the horizontal distance L contract in the Michelson-Morley experiment?

• Thread starter Karol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, the conversation discusses Lorentz's suggestion of parallel contraction and time differences in relation to the Michelson-Morley experiment. The individual speaking discusses their understanding of the mathematical trick, but raises a question about the contraction of the horizontal distance and its relation to the experiment.
Karol

Homework Statement

Snap1.jpg

Lorentz suggested that L parallel shortens the amount:
Snap4.jpg
And inserting it back cancels the time difference:
Snap5.jpg

$$\frac{2L/C}{\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}}>\frac{2L/C}{1-u^2/c^2}~\rightarrow~t_1+t_2<2t_3$$
Logic says i have to increase L in order to increase t1+t2 so it will equal 2t3

Homework Equations

The times t1+t2 parallel to the velocity u, and 2t3 vertical, to mirror C are:
Snap2.jpg
Snap3.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the mathematical trick, but logically the horizontal distance should grow, no?

Physics news on Phys.org
This problem statement is ill-defined and so is your "attempt at a solution". I suspect that you will not get many responses until you are clear about what kind of help you are seeking and why.

Well i don't know what to write in the Relevant Equations, so i spread the problem statement in both, the Problem Statement and the Relevant Equations.
But i ask why does the horizontal distance L contract instead of lengthen.

Karol said:
Well i don't know what to write in the Relevant Equations, so i spread the problem statement in both, the Problem Statement and the Relevant Equations.
But i ask why does the horizontal distance L contract instead of lengthen.

Seems to me you are trying to compare/contrast the output of the interferometer when it is at rest with respect to the observer and when it is moving with respect to the observer. But that's not what MMX was about. For the original Michelson-Morley experiment, the interferometer, light source and observer were always at rest with respect to each other.

1. What is the Michelson-Morley experiment?

The Michelson-Morley experiment was a scientific experiment conducted in 1887 by American physicists Albert Michelson and Edward Morley to measure the speed of light in different directions in order to test the theory of the luminiferous aether.

2. What was the purpose of the Michelson-Morley experiment?

The purpose of the Michelson-Morley experiment was to detect the existence of the luminiferous aether, a hypothetical medium through which light was thought to travel.

3. What were the results of the Michelson-Morley experiment?

The results of the Michelson-Morley experiment showed that the speed of light was constant in all directions, regardless of the movement of the Earth. This contradicted the prevailing theory of the luminiferous aether and helped pave the way for Einstein's theory of relativity.

4. How did the Michelson-Morley experiment impact the scientific community?

The Michelson-Morley experiment had a significant impact in the scientific community as it challenged the prevailing theories of the time and led to the development of new theories, such as Einstein's theory of relativity. It also paved the way for the study of the fundamental principles of physics, such as the constancy of the speed of light.

5. Why is the Michelson-Morley experiment considered a landmark in the history of science?

The Michelson-Morley experiment is considered a landmark in the history of science because it marked a significant shift in our understanding of the fundamental principles of physics. It challenged long-held theories and opened up new avenues of scientific inquiry that ultimately led to groundbreaking discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the universe.