Microcanonical vs. canonical ensembles

• Thread starter Pacopag
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of thermodynamic variables for a system of particles using the microcanonical and canonical ensembles. It is noted that the result will be consistent regardless of which ensemble is used, and that the two ensembles are compatible with each other. The conversation also touches on the differences between the microcanonical and canonical distributions, and the conditions needed for a canonical system to be composed of microcanonical subsystems. Additionally, there is a question about the criterion for having the same energy values for both ensembles. The concept of entropy is also mentioned in relation to these ensembles.
Pacopag

Homework Statement

Suppose we have a system of particles and we wish to calculate the thermodynamic variables (e.g. energy, entropy, pressure, etc.)
Will the result depend on whether we consider the microcanonical or the canonical ensemble?
I want to calculate the partition function to get the TD variables, but the way in which we need to calculate the partition function depends on the ensemble that we consider.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The result will be consistent.

Great! Thanks.

Does it matter which ensemble I use? micro/canoncal?

No -- use which ever one you are more comfortable with.

When I do the same problem with either ensemble, I get very different looking expressions for, say, the entropy. I guess what you're saying is that if I do the correct manipulations I should always be able to cast one expression in the form of the other?

Yep --- they are completely compatible. After all, they are both just special cases of the general maximum entropy principle.

Great. Thanks

A further Question

Hi,

I agree with what you have said about the values being the same. I have calculated the mean square deviation of the energy in terms of Cv, using the Boltzmann Distribution, and I am trying to figure out what criterion is needed to to have the same energy values for both canonical & microcanonical ensembles. Any thoughts?

Microcanonical is used when no energy or particles are is exchanged between subsystems or with the outside (no heat transfer through container walls, for instance). Canonical allows energy exchange but the number of particles must remain constant. Grand canonical also allows for change in particles (diffusion, etc.).

The two distribtions are substantially different. The microcanonical distribution deals with a single, fixed system energy, while the canonical distribution does not. However, a partition of the microcanonical system can yield canonical sub-systems -- what conditions would need to hold for this to be true?

Also, think about whether a canonical system can be composed of a set of microcanonical systems. Think about entropy in this context.
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

What is the difference between the microcanonical and canonical ensembles?

The microcanonical ensemble describes a closed and isolated system with a fixed number of particles, volume, and energy. In contrast, the canonical ensemble describes an open system in contact with a heat bath, allowing for the exchange of energy with the surroundings.

How are the microcanonical and canonical ensembles related?

The canonical ensemble can be derived from the microcanonical ensemble by considering the system's average energy and allowing for fluctuations in the energy. In this way, the canonical ensemble provides a more realistic representation of a system in contact with a larger reservoir.

Which ensemble is more suitable for describing a system with a fixed energy?

The microcanonical ensemble is more appropriate for describing systems with a fixed energy, as it explicitly takes into account the conservation of energy. The canonical ensemble, on the other hand, allows for fluctuations in energy and is better suited for systems in contact with a heat bath.

How do the thermodynamic properties differ between the microcanonical and canonical ensembles?

The thermodynamic properties, such as temperature and entropy, may differ between the two ensembles due to their different approaches to energy conservation. In the microcanonical ensemble, energy is fixed, while in the canonical ensemble, energy can fluctuate, leading to different thermodynamic properties.

Which ensemble is more commonly used in statistical mechanics?

Both the microcanonical and canonical ensembles are commonly used in different contexts. The microcanonical ensemble is often used in theoretical studies, while the canonical ensemble is used in experimental studies where the system is in contact with a heat bath. Ultimately, the choice of ensemble depends on the specific system and the information being sought.