Microcontrollers and analog signals

In summary, the question is whether a simple microcontrol such as an 8 pin PICAXE can be used to read voltage from a circuit and output varying voltages. The answer is that it depends on the specific microcontrol, as some have ADC and DAC resources while others do not. For the specific microcontrol mentioned, it does have built-in analog-to-digital conversion circuitry but not digital-to-analog circuitry, although it does have digital outputs which may allow for pulse-width modulation to achieve similar results. More information is needed to determine if it can be used for the desired purpose.
GiTS
If I have a simple microcontrol, say 8 pin PICAXE. Could I use it to read the voltage going through a circuit directly? And can I output varying voltages?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Some chips have ADC and DAC resources, some don't. You'd have to give us more information.

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the datasheet, it does have built-in analog-to-digital conversion circuitry, but it does not have built-in digital-to-analog circuitry. It does have digital outputs though, so you might be able to accomplish what you want with pulse-width modulation.

- Warren

Related to Microcontrollers and analog signals

1. What is a microcontroller and how does it work?

A microcontroller is a small computer on a single integrated circuit that is designed to perform a specific task. It contains a microprocessor, memory, and input/output peripherals. It works by executing programmed instructions and interacting with other electronic components to control the operation of a system.

2. What is the difference between digital and analog signals?

Digital signals are binary in nature, meaning they can only have two values: 0 and 1. They are used to represent and transmit data in the form of on and off states. Analog signals, on the other hand, are continuous and can have an infinite number of values. They are used to represent and transmit data in the form of varying voltage or current levels.

3. How does a microcontroller process analog signals?

A microcontroller processes analog signals by converting them into digital form using an analog-to-digital converter (ADC). The ADC takes continuous analog signals and samples them at regular intervals, converting them into a series of discrete digital values that the microcontroller can then process and manipulate.

4. What are the applications of microcontrollers in analog signal processing?

Microcontrollers are widely used in analog signal processing applications, such as sensors and control systems. They can be programmed to read, filter, and manipulate analog signals to perform tasks such as temperature sensing, motor control, and audio processing. They are also commonly used in data acquisition systems to convert analog signals into digital data for analysis and storage.

5. How do I choose the right microcontroller for my analog signal processing project?

Choosing the right microcontroller for an analog signal processing project depends on various factors such as the required processing power, number of input/output channels, and cost. It is important to consider the specific requirements of your project and research different microcontrollers to find one that meets your needs. Additionally, consulting with experts in the field or seeking recommendations from other engineers can also help in choosing the right microcontroller for your project.