Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Microsoft Office for Mac - Family Pack is going, going

1. Mar 7, 2013 #1

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I'm still using the 2008 version of Microsoft Office for Mac OS, because I got it for free through my college's institutional license, and it still works under Mac OS 10.8 (Mountain Lion). I kept my eye on the Office 2011 Family Pack (1 user / 3 installs) because it was fairly cheap (~$120 at Amazon) and I have three machines to deal with (office, home desktop and home MacBook).

I just found out that Microsoft has discontinued this pack in favor of their new cloud-based system, Office 365, which you have to subscribe to at $100 per year (but you can use it on five machines, whee!).

Sure enough, Amazon itself doesn't sell the family pack any more, but some of its third-party sellers still have it at about $120. So I just ordered one, and am keeping my fingers crossed that Micro$oft will actually let me use it.

Of course, I don't plan to upgrade again unless I absolutely have to.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2013 #2
    New versions of Office are rarely worth it. You can still easily get by on 2003.

4. Mar 10, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Office XP still works for me. Also use WordPerfect 8, vintage 1997.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook