1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Microwaves - finding the wavelength

1. Jul 11, 2006 #1
    Hi everyone, we were looking at different ways of finding out the wavelength of a microwave in physics a few days back, and one of them was to soak a piece of paper in a solution and put it into a microwave iven, when this solution got hot/warm it changed colour to blue.

Does anyone know what the solution was called, cos i need to write this all up and thats the only thing thats stopping me, if its any help it was a kind of purple/red-ish colour to start with.....

Cheers, dave

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2006 #2
    Just guessing, but does anthocyanin ring any bells?

4. Jul 11, 2006 #3
    it doesnt im afraid, but does it ahve the same properties as i mentioned?? The one we used was called *SOMETHING* SOLUTION...

dave

5. Jul 11, 2006 #4
    Um, I don't know dragon. How about Iodine? Permanganate? Copper Sulphate?

6. Jul 11, 2006 #5
    ah, copper sulphate, that was it, thankyou very much, now i can get on and write the rest of this thing up, cheers mate, much obliged

dragon

7. Jul 11, 2006 #6
    Lucky guess, but it's a pleasure to help.

o:)

8. Jul 11, 2006 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Processed cheese slices work just as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook