Middle School teacher: battery storage

In summary, using electrical tape to make a permanent connection between wires and a battery does not make a safe connection.
LK5
Hello PF,
I am a middle school teacher in Humboldt county, CA and teach physical science to eighth graders. We are beginning our electricity and magnetism unit and have students have experimented with making a light bulb illuminate using a battery and copper wire. My question is, if we make a more permanent set-up with the wire attached to the battery and light bulb with electrical tape, would it be safe to keep our battery somewhere in the classroom? My concern is that the materials would become too hot and I need to create a safe place where students can observe the battery still powering the light bulb so their safety is not compromised. Are there any suggestions or previous set-ups that were successful? Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
You're doing an experiment like this?

Personally I wouldn't tape the setup together permanently as it makes it easier for the loose wire to accidentally short the battery and using a D cell as the source will get hot very quickly.

There were a some news stories floating around a few years about accidental fires started by 9v batteries left in junk drawers where the + and - posts could touch creating a short and starting a fire. The recommendation was to cover the posts with electrical when disposing of them and keeping them in their original packaging until you're ready to use them.

http://fireprotectiontesting.com/dangers-of-9-volt-batteries/

Likes LK5
LK5 said:
Hello PF,
I am a middle school teacher in Humboldt county, CA and teach physical science to eighth graders. We are beginning our electricity and magnetism unit and have students have experimented with making a light bulb illuminate using a battery and copper wire. My question is, if we make a more permanent set-up with the wire attached to the battery and light bulb with electrical tape, would it be safe to keep our battery somewhere in the classroom? My concern is that the materials would become too hot and I need to create a safe place where students can observe the battery still powering the light bulb so their safety is not compromised. Are there any suggestions or previous set-ups that were successful? Thanks!
Holding the wires on the ends of a battery with electrical tape does not make a reliable connection. Just go to a local Radio Shack or similar store (or online), and get a 2xAA or 2xC battery holder. Then you can use whatever means to hook the wires up to a 2x<whatever> light bulb.

http://www.reuk.co.uk/shopImages/4-aa-battery-holder.jpg
4-aa-battery-holder.jpg

Likes LK5
Also even more fun is the Little Bits sets:

They use magnets to create click together circuits. They even have a smart home kit where you activate the circuit via a smart device and the internet.

Likes LK5 and berkeman
berkeman said:
Holding the wires on the ends of a battery with electrical tape does not make a reliable connection. Just go to a local Radio Shack or similar store (or online), and get a 2xAA or 2xC battery holder. Then you can use whatever means to hook the wires up to a 2x<whatever> light bulb.

http://www.reuk.co.uk/shopImages/4-aa-battery-holder.jpg
4-aa-battery-holder.jpg
Thank you for the responses and suggestions. I think I will look online for the battery holder; I'll respond with how long our bulb stayed illuminated (hopefully).

Likes berkeman
LK5 said:
My concern is that the materials would become too hot and I need to create a safe place where students can observe the battery still powering the light bulb so their safety is not compromised.

If you match the light power to the battery power, say, as is routinely done in a flashlight, and have secure electrical connections, over heating should not be a problem. You'll also have to decide when the battery is 'dead' because as you know a light will gradually get dimmer and dimmer. In solid state devices, a 1.5 volt dry cell battery might no longer function at say 1.1 volts, but your light will still offer some illumination. And there is a decent chance once the light can no longer been seen, if you open the circuit, and leave if off for a few hours, the battery is likely to 'recover' enough to once again briefly illuminate the light.

Likes LK5 and berkeman

1. What is battery storage and why is it important for a middle school teacher?

Battery storage is a method of storing energy generated from renewable sources, such as solar or wind power. It is important for a middle school teacher because it can provide a reliable and sustainable source of electricity for the school, reducing the reliance on traditional power sources and helping to reduce carbon emissions.

2. How does battery storage work?

Battery storage works by storing excess electricity generated from renewable sources in batteries. The batteries can then be used to power the school during times when there is low or no renewable energy generation, such as at night or on cloudy days.

3. What are the benefits of battery storage for a middle school teacher?

The benefits of battery storage for a middle school teacher include cost savings, as it can reduce or eliminate the need to purchase electricity from the grid, as well as environmental benefits by reducing carbon emissions. It also provides a reliable source of electricity, even during power outages.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using battery storage?

Some potential drawbacks to using battery storage include the initial cost of installation and maintenance, as well as the limited storage capacity of batteries. In some cases, the batteries may also need to be replaced after a certain number of years.

5. How can a middle school teacher implement battery storage in their school?

A middle school teacher can implement battery storage in their school by working with a renewable energy company or contractor to install a battery storage system. They can also research and apply for grants or funding opportunities to help cover the initial costs. It is important to also involve school administrators and the community in the decision-making process.