Can Military Experience Boost Your Resume and College Application?

• Thread starter Cod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Military
In summary, the individual has been in the Air Force for approximately 3 months and is currently in tech school to become a Pashtu linguist. They are wondering how their military experience and job will look on their resume and college application, and if it will give them an advantage in getting accepted into a university or finding a good job in the civilian world. It is suggested that they research and determine what science or engineering field they are interested in, and that they may need to start over in college to improve their GPA. The impact of military experience on job marketability will vary depending on the company, but it will never hurt to have it on a resume. The individual is encouraged to continue performing well and consider retaking courses to improve
Cod
I've been in the Air Force for approximately 3-months now and some questions have arised within my head over the past few days. Basically, I tried college for 2-years and ended up with a 1.8 GPA and was put on academic probation for the following semester (which I didn't go to because I left for BMT). Currently I'm in tech school in Monterey, CA at the Defense Langauge Institute training to become a Pashtu (Afghan language) linguist. So now I'm wondering, how does military experience and the job you did while serving "look" on your resume or college application letter in the civilian world? I mean, do people with military experience along with an honorable discharge get a boost compared to those who haven't served?

Because frankly, I'd like to go back to college and get my degree in some sort of science or engineering. And with my GPA so low, I need any sort of extra help I can get for getting accepted into a university of my choice. Also, if I decide not to go to college until after serving my time, will my military experience help me land a good job in the civilian world? I know the top secret clearance I have is a big boost towards getting a "dream job" since it shows employers that I am a very trustworthy person. I would just like to know if anything else I gain from the military will help me get enrolled into a good school or land that great job.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
do you know what kind of science or engineering youre interested in? Maybe while you're still in the military you could read some literature, perhaps even some college textbooks to help you decide what youre really interested in. Then, if it's something that requires high gpa, like premed or pre-ph.d in science, i suggest you just start all over, i.e. apply to college as a freshman claiming that you're straight out of high school and never took any college courses, because those courses would only hurt you. Of course if you're interested in being a science teacher, then it's possible to just go to any school that accepts you as a transfer, perhaps spend a semester at a community college in order to be able to transfer.

Then, if it's something that requires high gpa, like premed or pre-ph.d in science, i suggest you just start all over, i.e. apply to college as a freshman claiming that you're straight out of high school and never took any college courses, because those courses would only hurt you.

... and if you do this and fin. aid reviews your records for consistency and total loan/scholarhship amounts then you're screwed. They regularly yank people out that lied on their appilcation.

Cod said:
I've been in the Air Force for approximately 3-months now and some questions have arised within my head over the past few days. Basically, I tried college for 2-years and ended up with a 1.8 GPA and was put on academic probation for the following semester (which I didn't go to because I left for BMT). Currently I'm in tech school in Monterey, CA at the Defense Langauge Institute training to become a Pashtu (Afghan language) linguist. So now I'm wondering, how does military experience and the job you did while serving "look" on your resume or college application letter in the civilian world? I mean, do people with military experience along with an honorable discharge get a boost compared to those who haven't served?

Because frankly, I'd like to go back to college and get my degree in some sort of science or engineering. And with my GPA so low, I need any sort of extra help I can get for getting accepted into a university of my choice. Also, if I decide not to go to college until after serving my time, will my military experience help me land a good job in the civilian world? I know the top secret clearance I have is a big boost towards getting a "dream job" since it shows employers that I am a very trustworthy person. I would just like to know if anything else I gain from the military will help me get enrolled into a good school or land that great job.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
For getting into college, it helps when there is a big time frame between enrollments. However, you would probably be helped getting accepted to a university, but the grades will probably still haunt you when applying to a prticular school within the university, like an engineering school. You always have to include a written statement with applications stating, among other things, why you are wanting to go to college. That is where you can really hammer home the service and how you have matured since your last time in college. You may have to go a couple of semesters under a non-engineering major to get your grades up doing the required prequal courses, which really is no big deal since you'd have to do them anyways. Then after a year you could go back with better grades and reapply to the engineering college.

The military experience's influence on your marketability in the workforce will vary. It's impact will depend heavily on the particular company you are dealing with. If you end up, say, designing shower heads, the military part of your resume is nice but it will be just one item on it. However, if you were to go to a government contractor, chances are it will count more. Let's put it this way, it will never hurt you (assuming an honorable discharge). Don't rely solely on it though. You really do need to perform well, no matter what your resume says.

Good luck.

For consistency, and to prove that all around you finish what you start, you could return to your old college and retake the courses you bombed, and continue to build your GPA. Take it from me; whether you fail or not is not as important as how you have grown and what you have learn from your failures. If you prove to the colleges you can pick yourself up after falling down, they'll welcome you with open arms.

Look at it this way; if they rejected everybody with a shady background, all of us would be in JCs.

As for rebuilding yourself, you could concurrently enroll at your college and at another junior/community college, building up credits and points pretty quickly (hint: community colleges offer a lot of courses online...).

1. What are the physical requirements for military service?

The physical requirements for military service vary depending on the branch of the military and the specific job or role within that branch. Generally, a minimum level of physical fitness and health is required, including meeting weight and body fat standards, passing a physical fitness test, and being free from certain medical conditions. However, each branch has its own specific requirements that potential recruits must meet.

2. Can I join the military if I wear glasses or have other visual impairments?

Yes, individuals with glasses or other visual impairments can join the military. However, they may be limited in certain job roles or may need to meet specific visual acuity standards. Each branch has its own guidelines for visual acuity and may require corrective surgery or other accommodations to meet these standards.

3. Are there height and weight requirements for military service?

Yes, each branch of the military has its own height and weight requirements. These requirements are based on body mass index (BMI) and vary depending on age and gender. Each branch also has its own standards for body fat percentage, which may be used in conjunction with BMI to determine eligibility for military service.

4. Can I join the military if I have tattoos?

Yes, having tattoos does not automatically disqualify someone from joining the military. However, the content and location of the tattoos may be taken into consideration during the recruitment process. Offensive or extremist tattoos may result in disqualification, and visible tattoos on certain areas of the body may limit job opportunities within the military.

5. Are there any age restrictions for military service?

Yes, there are age restrictions for military service. The minimum age to join the military is 17 with parental consent, and 18 without consent. The maximum age varies by branch, but generally ranges from 34 to 42 years old. However, there are exceptions for certain high-demand job roles or for those with prior military experience.