Millitary Standard for Small Water Craft, Navy, Marines

In summary, the conversation is about finding structural design standards for mounting components on small Naval and Marine watercraft. The speaker mentions being able to find standards for larger ships, but not for small boats. They then share a link to a website that may have helpful information. The other person thanks them and mentions that it may take some time to sift through all the results.
BlkHwkEng
I curious if anyone out there knows what structural design standards are used when mounting components onto small Naval and Marine (Zodiac) style watercraft. I can find all kinds of loads and vibration criteria for large ships like Mil-std-810 and Mil-std-167 but all of them specify not to use their criteria for small boat design. Any help would be much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Go to https://assist.daps.dla.mil/quicksearch/quicksearch_query.cfm and enter "boat". Should turn up just about everything you could imagine! LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bob K, that webpage really helps. I think it will take me a couple days to sift through all that comes up when I type in "boat" but I am hoping what I am looking for is in there LoL!

What is the purpose of the Military Standard for Small Water Craft?

The Military Standard for Small Water Craft is a set of guidelines and requirements established by the Navy and Marines for the design, construction, and operation of small water craft used for military purposes. It ensures that these vessels meet certain safety and performance standards to effectively support military operations.

Who is responsible for setting and enforcing these standards?

The Navy and Marines are responsible for setting and enforcing the Military Standard for Small Water Craft. They have dedicated teams and departments that oversee the implementation of these standards, as well as conducting inspections and audits to ensure compliance.

What types of small water craft are covered by this standard?

This standard applies to all small water craft used by the Navy and Marines, including boats, ships, and other vessels that are less than 100 feet in length. This includes patrol boats, landing craft, and support vessels used for a variety of military operations.

What are some of the key requirements outlined in the Military Standard for Small Water Craft?

The standard covers a wide range of requirements, including specifications for hull design, propulsion systems, electrical systems, and safety equipment. It also includes guidelines for crew training, maintenance, and operating procedures to ensure the safe and efficient use of these vessels.

Are there any specific regulations for the construction and maintenance of these small water craft?

Yes, the Military Standard for Small Water Craft also includes specific regulations for the construction and maintenance of these vessels. This includes requirements for materials, construction techniques, and testing procedures to ensure the durability and reliability of the vessels in various operating conditions.

Back