Mini Electric Horse Fence, or Micro-Taser?

IMG_0306.JPG

How about this circuit I built to keep foxes and badgers out of my chicken run?

A 555 timer, configured to produce the waveform shown, drives a pseudo-Darlington pair of transistors that pulses a standard ignition coil. The voltage induced will jump about 12mm in the dry air of the house - several kV, I bet. The three-second dead time is more than enough to allow the shocked animal to let go and bugger off.

I had to remove the final 1N4007 across the coil primary, as the circuit would not work with it - perhaps it was too slow. Maybe a faster signal diode would be better here? All the diodes are 1N4007 because... I bought a large pack of them.

I had this running on a motorcycle battery for a good year, charging it once a week. Doubtless someone on here could offer some improvements - I was going to change the transistors for a single MOSFET, but that 2N3055 seems bombproof. I'm not sure how well the coil will hold up over time - they don't like long-term use with an open secondary, I'm told.

Here in the UK, there is a wide range of electric fence energisers available to buy, but they are expensive. I think a lot of the cost is related to safety testing and RF emissions certification.

Likes Blank_Stare
Thank you. I managed to get myself busy this week, but when things settle down, I intend to study the designs offered, and determine which, if any will work in the tiny space I have to work with.

My daughter has drawn my attention to a commercially available solution that may suit my needs. She's a whiz at search engines, and found the magic charger, of all places, Cabelas, where it is sold to do exactly the job I need it for, but (and here's the kicker) for another brand of feeder. I am going tomorrow to see if it can be modified to fit my feeder, and if so, my search is ended.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Amer...unter+bl-ubi+varmint+buster+for+r+and+rd+kits

The specs look promising - size of the unit is smaller than a deck of cards, and it shocks at about 2,000 volt (similar to a dog collar.)

I'll post a follow up, as soon as I now one way or the other.

Regardless the outcome, I have appreciated all the assistance.

My daughter has drawn my attention to a commercially available solution that may suit my needs. She's a whiz at search engines, and found the magic charger, at, of all places, Cabelas, where it is sold to do exactly the job I need it for, but (and here's the kicker) for another brand of feeder. I am going tomorrow to see if it can be modified to fit my feeder, and if so, my search is ended.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/American-Hunter-BL-UBI-Varmint-Buster-for-R-and-RD-Kits/732668.uts?searchPath=/browse.cmd?categoryId=734095080&CQ_search=american+hunter+bl-ubi+varmint+buster+for+r+and+rd+kits

The specs look promising - size of the unit is smaller than a deck of cards, and it shocks at about 2,000 volt (similar to a dog collar.)

I'll post a follow up, as soon as I know one way or the other.

Regardless the outcome, I have appreciated all the assistance.

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Good luck with that. It was an interesting chat and you must let us know how well it all works.

Let's just say, "It was a shocking experience"... LOL!!
Project is complete, except for a kill switch. I managed to brush the cage with my forearm, while my fingers were close (but not touching) the positive lead. The shock had no problem arcing the 1/2 to 3/4" space between fingers and lead. I can say with great authority that the raccoons are NOT going to enjoy that experience. I certainly didn't.

As soon as I find a decent switch, this one gets installed to the feed barrel, and the other one comes home for modifications.

I'd post pictures of the completed project, but I am not a gold member, and do not have privileges to post pics.

OCR
The shock had no problem arcing the 1/2 to 3/4" space between fingers and lead. I can say with great authority that the raccoons are NOT going to enjoy that experience. I certainly didn't.
Apparently, according to a post on an anonymous forum, the raccoons are already on to your little tricks...
... the raccoons are NOT going to enjoy that experience.
According to what I can gleen from the IOA® ... not only are they "enjoying that experience" of yours... they even posted a picture of "The shock had no problem arcing the 1/2 to 3/4" space between fingers and lead." !

They also seem to absolutely LOVE the statement in post #22 ... where you state.https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/mini-electric-horse-fence-or-micro-taser.921221/page-2#post-5812941
I am certain that re-education through periodic shock-treatment is in everyone's best interest.:wink:
Anyway, here's the picture I found ... the claim is, it's of you ? [COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] lol

struck-by-lightning.jpg

Likes Blank_Stare
Apparently, according to a post on an anonymous forum, the raccoons are already on to your little tricks...

According to what I can gleen from the IOA® ... not only are they "enjoying that experience" of yours... they even posted a picture of "The shock had no problem arcing the 1/2 to 3/4" space between fingers and lead." !

They also seem to absolutely LOVE the statement in post #22 ... where you state.

Anyway, here's the picture I found ... the claim is, it's of you ? [COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] lol

LOL!
I'm busted.
(I just wanna know where the buggers were hiding when they took my picture...)

Likes OCR
OCR
I'm busted.
:check:... It would seem, so.[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] :oldbiggrin:

Did you forget ...? We're talking about raccoons here... this will never happen. [COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] lol
(I just wanna know where the buggers were hiding when they took my picture...)

Oh, and BTW...
I'd post pictures of the completed project, but I am not a gold member, and do not have privileges to post pics.
I don't think you need to be a gold member to post pictures... don't you have the UPLOAD button in you're reply box ?

upload_2017-8-6_23-30-14.png

I don't think you need to be a gold member to post pictures... don't you have the UPLOAD button in you're reply box ?

View attachment 208483
Hmmm, I guess I do. I'll grab some pictures when I am deploying it in the field, or maybe when I am installing the switch I have yet to source....

Likes OCR
OCR
Been busy, and addle-minded.

I did take some pictures, and I will get them posted, but I have been sleep deprived for most of a week, and I have a one-day road trip tomorrow, and then a road trip Sun/Mon for the eclipse. If I am lucky, I will see my own bed again by Tuesday early morning. If I haven't posted pictures by Wednesday or so, remind me to dig them off my phone, and load them up here. They aren't the best, but I think they will make clear what I did to modify the spreader.

Likes dlgoff
Well, the pictures I thought I took seem to have vanished into the black hole that is my SD card. So I took a new one that should do...

IMG_20170829_204520069.jpg

Starting on the right side...
There is a black toggle switch that I have installed - it has a rubber boot. It switches the shocker device, so I can turn the shocker off for handling during maintenance, and mounting/dismounting the feed spreader from the barrel. It does NOT switch the motor for the spreader itself.

An inch or two to the left of that is the hole where the solar panel wire feeds in, to charge the on-board 6-volt battery. Also, coming out of that hole is a nylon coated stainless steel "leader", like fishermen use for fishing toothed fish, like walleye and the like. It will feed back through the rubber grommet that the charge wires come in through, and provide a nearly water tight seal. The leader attaches to a cage that is chromed steel, which completely encloses the spreader.

Just below that, you can see a blue wire nut, and a pair of blue wires that feed out from the black, rectangular shocker. One attaches to the stainless steel leader, and the other attaches to a galvanized wire that you can see "threaded" around the fins on the top half of the spreader. The shocker doesn't look like much, but I can assure you, the experience is not pleasant.

At the top of the shocker body are a black and red wire that feed into the inside. The black is directly attached to the clip that attaches to the ground on the battery, via wire nut. The red connects to the positive terminal clip, via the switch that I pointed out in the first paragraph.

The switch had to be added through a hole I drilled, and which I afterwards sealed with silicone caulk. I used the same silicone caulk around the very tiny hole where the galvanized wire exits the body of the spreader. I drilled a bunch of tiny holes, and then threaded the galvanized wire twice around - once above, and once below the opening where the raccoons might reach through to gain access to corn on the spinner plate.

Finally, the spinner plate was removed, and replaced with a metal one. as was the outlet funnel.

I think my raccoon problems are solved, but I am not counting on it - little buggers are crafty.

Previous to the raccoon issues, I had already done some minor modifications, to allow the solar to hook up in a water tight manner, yet be easily removed, should the need arise. Good thing I did, or this would have been a bigger pain in the rear than it had to be, the solar panel itself it currently 25 miles away, bolted to the legs of the barrel.

Thanks again, to everyone who helped. Even though I ended up using a pre-built module, there was a learning experience here that I appreciated the opportunity to have.

Likes sophiecentaur and Tom.G
I was back in the field this afternoon, checking to make sure things are all going as planned.
Here it is, deployed in the field...
IMG_20170830_141116.jpg

I wish I had trail cams set up to see the Raccoons when they first tried to reach inside that cage - MUAHAHAHAHAH!

The legs are painted orange, because a local rancher has the landowners permission to harvest the field, to feed horses. It grows wild, and he harvests 2-4 times a year - so we went with high-visibility orange paint to make sure he could see it, in the high grass.

(The corn on the ground was spilled when we initially took the spreader off the bottom of the barrel, to take it home for modifications. I expect the Raccoons and deer will be quite pleased about that smorgasbord, while it lasts. I usually spread a couple pounds, twice a day - that's about 30 or 40 pounds of corn laying there... It was a lot more, a week earlier. Good thing corn isn't terribly expensive.)

Anyways, thanks again for everyone's input!

Likes Tom.G
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I wish I had trail cams set up to see the Raccoons when they first tried to reach inside that cage - MUAHAHAHAHAH!
Me too. Thanks for sharing and keep us posted should you get a trail cam.

Me too. Thanks for sharing and keep us posted should you get a trail cam.
Good trail cams are pricey. Cheap trail cams are unreliable, short-lived, and don't get very good pictures. I probably won't be getting any this year, unless someone loves me extra-lots at Christmas. Even then, the raccoons will already have learned their lesson, and I wouldn't expect to see them in any "starring roles" that late in the season.

But we'll see what happens. Whenever I manage to get a trail cam, that feeder is the first location it will be posted, because, after all, that's where I expect the deer to be coming. If I get any Raccoon cameos, I'll be sure to add them here.

Likes dlgoff
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Good trail cams are pricey. Cheap trail cams are unreliable, short-lived, and don't get very good pictures. I probably won't be getting any this year, unless someone loves me extra-lots at Christmas. Even then, the raccoons will already have learned their lesson, and I wouldn't expect to see them in any "starring roles" that late in the season.

But we'll see what happens. Whenever I manage to get a trail cam, that feeder is the first location it will be posted, because, after all, that's where I expect the deer to be coming. If I get any Raccoon cameos, I'll be sure to add them here.
Well done! A great thread and a really worth while project. Lucky deer and tough luck, racoons.

Likes dlgoff