Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Miniature Vortex Tube Design Question

1. Jun 24, 2015 #1
    Need help with an application I am thinking of. In this application just 10 cubic inches per second of cold air is needed, that too for 2-5 seconds only. Also, not a lot of cooling/heating capacity is needed, just 30C of air cooling should be sufficient.

How would we construct such a device?

I am thinking of attaching a hand pump (like this one http://bit.ly/1LpLIkD ) to a vortex tube of 0.3 CFM

The user would simply use hand to squeeze the pump a few times air through vortex tube and create cold/hot air

I calculated that our hands can squeeze a ball of size 5 cubic inches quite comfortably. So if we squeeze twice per second, it is 10 cubic inches per second. This seems quite doable.

Questions I have are:
    1. Can a vortex tube of capacity 600 cubic inches per minute be constructed?
    2. Would such a device be capable of cooling if we pass 10 cubic inches air/second for 2-5 seconds?
    3. Some search shows that human hand can create 30 PSI pressure.

So problem is reduced to
    Is it possible to create a vortex tube of capacity 0.3CFM that can cool air by 30C at 30 PSI within 2-5 seconds?

I have been trying to figure this out but now I realize ... I need help! HELP please!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Jun 30, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the bump. I am guessing this is harder problem and the reason nobody is commenting is because nobody is really sure.

But maybe people can help me in another way:

Do you know any experts in vortex tube (or related sciences) or a company that can help me manufacture a miniature vortex tube?
    I am willing to pay.

Thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook