Miniature Vortex Tube Design Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a device that can provide 10 cubic inches per second of cold air for 2-5 seconds, with a cooling capacity of 30C. The idea of using a hand pump attached to a vortex tube is proposed, with the calculation that squeezing the pump twice per second can achieve the desired air flow. The main questions are whether a vortex tube of 600 cubic inches per minute capacity can be constructed and if it can cool air by 30C at a pressure of 30 PSI within 2-5 seconds. The person is seeking help from experts in the field or a company that can assist with manufacturing a miniature vortex tube.
ravi101
Need help with an application I am thinking of. In this application just 10 cubic inches per second of cold air is needed, that too for 2-5 seconds only. Also, not a lot of cooling/heating capacity is needed, just 30C of air cooling should be sufficient.

How would we construct such a device?

I am thinking of attaching a hand pump (like this one http://bit.ly/1LpLIkD ) to a vortex tube of 0.3 CFM

The user would simply use hand to squeeze the pump a few times air through vortex tube and create cold/hot air

I calculated that our hands can squeeze a ball of size 5 cubic inches quite comfortably. So if we squeeze twice per second, it is 10 cubic inches per second. This seems quite doable.

Questions I have are:
1. Can a vortex tube of capacity 600 cubic inches per minute be constructed?
2. Would such a device be capable of cooling if we pass 10 cubic inches air/second for 2-5 seconds?
3. Some search shows that human hand can create 30 PSI pressure.

So problem is reduced to
Is it possible to create a vortex tube of capacity 0.3CFM that can cool air by 30C at 30 PSI within 2-5 seconds?

I have been trying to figure this out but now I realize ... I need help! HELP please!

Thanks for the bump. I am guessing this is harder problem and the reason nobody is commenting is because nobody is really sure.

But maybe people can help me in another way:

Do you know any experts in vortex tube (or related sciences) or a company that can help me manufacture a miniature vortex tube?
I am willing to pay.

Thanks for your help.

1. What is a miniature vortex tube and how does it work?

A miniature vortex tube is a device that separates compressed air into hot and cold streams without any moving parts. It works by using the principle of vortex separation, where a high-speed vortex is created inside the tube, causing the air to spin and separate into two streams with different temperatures.

2. What factors should be considered when designing a miniature vortex tube?

There are several factors that should be considered when designing a miniature vortex tube, including the ratio of length to diameter, inlet pressure, cold fraction, and material selection. The length to diameter ratio affects the strength and stability of the vortex, while the inlet pressure and cold fraction determine the temperature of the hot and cold streams. Material selection is important for durability and efficiency.

3. Can a miniature vortex tube be customized for specific temperature requirements?

Yes, a miniature vortex tube can be customized for specific temperature requirements by adjusting the length to diameter ratio, inlet pressure, and cold fraction. Additionally, the material selection can also be tailored to meet the desired temperature requirements.

4. How efficient is a miniature vortex tube compared to other cooling methods?

A miniature vortex tube is relatively efficient compared to other cooling methods, with an efficiency range of 20-60%. It is also more compact, has no moving parts, and is easy to install and maintain, making it a popular choice for small-scale cooling applications.

5. What are some common applications for miniature vortex tubes?

Miniature vortex tubes are commonly used in cooling electronic components, such as computer processors and laser diodes, as well as in medical and laboratory equipment, such as MRI machines and sample cooling chambers. They are also used in industrial applications, such as cooling cutting tools and welding equipment.