Achieving 500psi and 50C at the Tip of 1mm SS Tube

• Thread starter medicalguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tube
In summary, the temperature of air obtained at the tip of the SS tube is lower than room temp, even though the block is getting quite hot. The cause of this is unknown, but it may be due to the fast flow velocity of the air or the lack of heat being transferred along the tube. Increasing the internal volume of the heat exchanger may help to slow down the flow velocity and achieve the desired temperature at the tip.
medicalguy
I am looking to get air to the tip of 1mm internal diameter (1.4mm OD) metal SS tube around 5 inches long that is connected to the source by 12 ft of brass tubing which is slightly larger in size than the SS tube.
The air pressure needs to be around 500psi to enable flow through the narrow tubing and a gas fliter.

The temperature of air required at the tip is 50 Celsius. I coupled a compressed nitrogen gas cylinder in my lab with a heating block. The heating block is made of aluminum and has 3 catridge heaters of 300W each arranged in interconnected holes within the block such that the incoming air moves over all the heaters and flows out to the brass tube. The heaters have about 2mm clearance with the holes in the block i.e. they do not touch the walls of the block.

What i have been observing is that while the aluminum block is getting quite hot within a minute of operation, the temperature of air obtained at the tip of the SS tube is actually a few degrees lower than room temp. I cut the brass tube at approx 2ft from the heating block out and the temp was only around 28-30C while the room temp was 25C.

Can you please help me understand why this is occurring and what changes i need to make to get the required temp at the tip. The cartridge heaters are around 5 in long and 1/2 in in dia. The metal block is around 7" x 6" x 2".

Engineering news on Phys.org
Either the air is flowing past the heating section too fast to warm up or it is losing heat too fast as it travels along the tube or both. Sounds like the air is just cooling down quickly along the tube. Insulate or heat the tube.

So will increasing internal volume of the heat exchanger help as it will slow down the flow velocity at that segment..

If you have a cylinder of gas at 500 psi and room temperature, the gas will cool (a lot!) as it flows through your device and expands. Maybe your heater is just about canceling out that cooling effect.

1. How is achieving 500psi and 50C at the tip of a 1mm SS tube beneficial?

Achieving 500psi and 50C at the tip of a 1mm SS tube is beneficial for various applications such as precision fluid delivery, high pressure experiments, and temperature-controlled reactions.

2. What factors affect the ability to achieve 500psi and 50C at the tip of a 1mm SS tube?

Factors that can affect achieving 500psi and 50C at the tip of a 1mm SS tube include the type and quality of the SS tube, the design and materials of the surrounding components, and the efficiency of the heating and pressurization systems.

3. How can the 500psi and 50C conditions be maintained at the tip of a 1mm SS tube?

The 500psi and 50C conditions can be maintained at the tip of a 1mm SS tube through precise control of the pressurization and heating systems, as well as regular maintenance and calibration of the equipment.

4. What are some challenges in achieving 500psi and 50C at the tip of a 1mm SS tube?

Some challenges in achieving 500psi and 50C at the tip of a 1mm SS tube include potential leaks or malfunctions in the system, variations in the material properties of the SS tube, and the need for precise temperature and pressure control.

5. Are there any safety concerns when working with 500psi and 50C at the tip of a 1mm SS tube?

Yes, there are potential safety concerns when working with high pressure and high temperature conditions. It is important to follow proper safety protocols, use appropriate protective equipment, and regularly inspect and maintain the equipment to ensure safe operation.