Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minimal no collapse interpretation

1. Oct 23, 2013 #1

meBigGuy

Gold Member

Is this a proper summary of a minimal-no-collapse interpretation? (I like to call it the fuzzy world interpretation, but I suppose I'm the only one)

When objects entangle, it constrains their degrees of freedom. As they entangle with more and more objects, their degrees of freedom are limited more and more. This results in the appearance of what we call classical behavior. But there is still superposition and fuzziness, just too small to observe. This provides the appearance of collapse. It is all driven by the principle that all entangled entities must correlate.

Assuming I'm not too far off (but I may be), what about this interpretation is considered inadequate, and is supplied (not simply undefined) by other interpretations.

Be gentle :)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2013 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't know what you mean by "When objects entangle, it constrains their degrees of freedom". Could you elaborate on this?

4. Oct 24, 2013 #3

naima

Gold Member

Dop a drop of ink in a glass of water. At the beginning ink is in a small volume (small dof)
    then entropy grows (greater volume, greater dof)
    So higher entropy is associated to higher degrees of freedom.
    Maximally entangled particles are associated to a maximal entropy

5. Oct 24, 2013 #4

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Oct 24, 2013 #5

meBigGuy

Gold Member

What I said is way too mushy. Let me think a bit more.

7. Oct 25, 2013 #6
    Interpretations of quantum mechanics tend to differ on how they describe what's actually going on when a wave function appears to collapse and how they deal with the EPR paradox.

You seem to lean towards a belief in physical collapse, but really you're just describing decoherence. When the superposition becomes too small to observe how do you think the prominent state is determined?

You should look at the EPR paradox too and decide how you think that should be resolved.

8. Oct 26, 2013 #7

meBigGuy

Gold Member

I'm stuck on that at the moment. (The derivation of pointer states, and objectification through redundancy). (not stuck so much as still learning. That's the mushy part of what I originally posted)

As for favoring collapse, I have a problem with "collapse" (discontinuities) , but I'm inconsistent in expressing it. I definitely favor "appearance of collapse", and am slowly progressing in understanding it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook