Minimizing Volume with given equations and certain points. Calculus 32A

In summary: G). Be explicit. What are the variables? What is the objective (the thing you are trying to maximize or minimize)? What are the constraints? (Here, I mean: write down all these objects explicitly as functions of your chosen variables.) We need to see all these things first, in order to know whether or not you are on the right track.
uclagal2012

Homework Statement

A plane with equation xa+yb+zc=1 (a,b,c>0)
together with the positive coordinate planes forms a tetrahedron of volume V=16abc (as shown in the Figure below)

Find the plane that minimizes V if the plane is constrained to pass through a point P=(8,2,3) .

Here is a picture: https://www.pic.ucla.edu/webwork2_course_files/12F-MATH32A-1/tmp/gif/dhattman-1243-setSix-prob8--image_14_8_31.png

Homework Equations

I used Lagrange multipliers SEVERAL TIMES.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've gotten
Partial(a)=(1/6)bc G(a)=-8/a^2
Partial(b)=(1/6)ac G(b)=-2/b^2
Partial(c)=(1/6)ab G(c)=-3/c^2

I then found that a=4b, 2c=3b, and 3a=8c but I am SO STUCK after this. Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
uclagal2012 said:
tetrahedron of volume V=16abc
1/(6abc), right?
I then found that a=4b, 2c=3b, and 3a=8c
I think that's right.
So you can write each of a, b, c in terms of some common parameter, substitute that into the equation for the plane, and express the fact that the plane goes through P.

uclagal2012 said:

Homework Statement

A plane with equation xa+yb+zc=1 (a,b,c>0)
together with the positive coordinate planes forms a tetrahedron of volume V=16abc (as shown in the Figure below)

Find the plane that minimizes V if the plane is constrained to pass through a point P=(8,2,3) .

Here is a picture: https://www.pic.ucla.edu/webwork2_course_files/12F-MATH32A-1/tmp/gif/dhattman-1243-setSix-prob8--image_14_8_31.png

Homework Equations

I used Lagrange multipliers SEVERAL TIMES.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've gotten
Partial(a)=(1/6)bc G(a)=-8/a^2
Partial(b)=(1/6)ac G(b)=-2/b^2
Partial(c)=(1/6)ab G(c)=-3/c^2

I then found that a=4b, 2c=3b, and 3a=8c but I am SO STUCK after this. Please help!

The problem statement does not match the picture. To get the picture you need the equation of the plane to be
[tex] \frac{x}{a} + \frac{y}{b} + \frac{z}{c} = 1,[/tex]
not what you wrote. Alternatively, you can use ##ax + by + cz = 1##, but the intercepts are 1/a, 1/b and 1/c, and the volume is 1/(6*a*b*c), as stated by haruspex. So first, you need to decide which representation you want to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray Vickson said:
The problem statement does not match the picture. To get the picture you need the equation of the plane to be
not what you wrote. Alternatively, you can use ##ax + by + cz = 1##, but the intercepts are 1/a, 1/b and 1/c, and the volume is 1/(6*a*b*c), as stated by haruspex. So first, you need to decide which representation you want to use.

You are correct in that it is supposed to be

Sorry, I am not used to this forum. Additionally, the V=1/(6*a*b*c)

So now are you able to help me more?

Ray Vickson said:

Sorry, I am not used to this forum. Additionally, the V=(1/6)(a*b*c)

uclagal2012 said:

You need to show your work, not just write down some unexplained equations containing undefined symbols (the G). Be explicit. What are the variables? What is the objective (the thing you are trying to maximize or minimize)? What are the constraints? (Here, I mean: write down all these objects explicitly as functions of your chosen variables.) We need to see all these things first, in order to know whether or not you are on the right track.

Assuming you have done the above, now write the Lagrangian, and then write the optimality conditions. Finally, there is the issue of solving those conditions, but again, let's see the conditions first in order to know whether you are making errors.

uclagal2012 said:

Judging from the OP, you correctly obtained the relationships between a, b, and c, except that it now appears you had each inverted in the definition. So go back to those equations and switch a to 1/a etc.
Then you're almost there. All you need to is what I wrote before:
Write each of a, b, c in terms of some common parameter (t, say), substitute that into the equation for the plane, and express the fact that the plane goes through P.
What parts of that do I need to explain more?

1. What is the concept of minimizing volume in calculus?

Minimizing volume is a calculus concept that involves finding the smallest possible volume for a given set of equations and certain points. This is done by using techniques such as optimization and the first and second derivative tests to determine the critical points and the global minimum.

2. How do I determine the equations for minimizing volume?

The equations for minimizing volume can be determined by setting up a system of equations based on the given constraints and using the volume formula for the specific shape. For example, the volume of a rectangular prism can be found using V = lwh, where l, w, and h represent the length, width, and height of the prism.

3. What is the difference between local and global minimum when minimizing volume?

A local minimum is the smallest value of a function within a specific interval, while a global minimum is the smallest value of the function over its entire domain. When minimizing volume, it is important to find the global minimum to ensure that it is the smallest possible value for the given constraints.

4. Can calculus be used to minimize volume for any shape?

Yes, calculus can be used to minimize volume for any shape as long as the equations and constraints can be represented mathematically. However, the specific techniques used may vary depending on the shape and the complexity of the equations.

5. Are there any real-world applications for minimizing volume with given equations and certain points?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for minimizing volume, such as optimizing the design of containers, packaging, and structures. For example, a company may use calculus to determine the minimum amount of material needed to create a specific container, reducing costs and minimizing waste.