Minimizing a volume of 3 variables

In summary: First find the limits of the function at (x,y,z)2) Using the limits, determine whether the point is a local min or local max3) If it is a local min or local max, then it is a max or min point.
Roni1985

Homework Statement

"Find the equation of the plane that passes through the point (1,2,3) and cuts off the smallest volume in the first octant

There are many ways to solve it, I tried two of them and actually got the correct answer, but couldn't prove if this is the min or the max volume (I guess absolute min or max?)

Homework Equations

for one attempt I used these equations:
a(x-1)+b(y-2)+c(z-3)=0
and
V=(1/3)*(A*h)

As far as the second method is concerned, I actually think this one is better and I used these two equations:

1/a+2/b+3/c=1 ( first had to find it)
V=(1/3)*(A*h)=(1/6)*(abc)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the Lagrange Multipliers to find a,b,c

This is what I got

b=6
a=3
c=9

Now I have a few questions:
1) if I used the first/second partial derivative tests to find local min or local max, how would you check the boarders here?

2) How do I prove that the point I found is an absolute minimum or an absolute maximum?

3) "cuts off the smallest volume" means that the volume of the tetrahedron has a minimum volume? or the compliment has a min value and then the volume of the tetrahedron has a max value ?

Thanks,
Roni.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) I wouldn't be two concerned with the boarders as long as you have shown you have a local min, when the plane goes parallel to any of the axes you get an infinite volume

2) As long as you have found any local minima, i think it will be suffcient with comments as above

3) i would read it as the tetrahedron you speak of has minimum volume

so basically you can do it two (equivalent) ways
- Minimise V(a,b,c) using lagrange multipliers subject to the constraint the plane passes through (1,2,3)
- Use the constraint to find c=c(a,b), then minimise the function of 2 variables V(a,b,c(a,b))

Last edited:
lanedance said:
1) I wouldn't be two concerned with the boarders as long as you have shown you have a local min, when the plane goes parallel to any of the axes you get an infinite volume

2) As long as you have found any local minima, i think it will be suffcient with comments as above

3) i would read it as the tetrahedron you speak of has minimum volume

so basically you can do it two (equivalent) ways
- Maximise V(a,b,c) using lagrange multipliers subject to the constraint the plane passes through (1,2,3)
- Use the constraint to find c=c(a,b), then minimise the function of 2 variables V(a,b,c(a,b))

Thank you for your answer but I actually also wanted to know how to decide whether it's a max or a min point with the Lagrange Multipliers.

here is another example:
"Find the volume of the largest rectangular box with edges parallel to the axes that can be inscribed in the ellipsoid 9x^2+36y^2+3z^2=36

I get two points, let's call them (x,y,z) and (-x,-y,-z)
I cross out the point (-x,-y,-z) because it gives me a negative volume and it's not possible (is the reasoning correct ?)

So, I am left with one point, how do I know if it's min or max ?
say I didn't have (-x,-y,-z) and I had only (x,y,z), how would you know that it's a max/min point (assuming absolute?)

I could do this with the first/ second partial derivative test and get the answer, but I want to understand how to do it with the Lagrange Multipliers method.

Thanks,
Roni.

FAQ: Minimizing a volume of 3 variables

1. How do you determine the minimum volume of a system with 3 variables?

The minimum volume of a system with 3 variables can be determined by using mathematical optimization techniques such as calculus and linear algebra. These methods involve finding the critical points of the volume function and evaluating them to determine the minimum volume.

2. Can the minimum volume of a system with 3 variables be negative?

No, the minimum volume of a system with 3 variables cannot be negative. Volume is a physical quantity that represents the amount of space occupied by an object, and it cannot have a negative value.

3. How does changing one variable affect the minimum volume of a system with 3 variables?

Changing one variable can have a significant impact on the minimum volume of a system with 3 variables. Depending on the relationship between the variables and the volume function, changing one variable can either increase or decrease the minimum volume.

4. Is there a universal method for minimizing a volume of 3 variables?

No, there is no universal method for minimizing a volume of 3 variables. The approach to minimizing a volume may vary depending on the specific system and the complexity of the volume function.

5. Can real-world systems be represented by a volume function with 3 variables?

Yes, real-world systems can often be represented by a volume function with 3 variables. For example, a container's volume can be described by its length, width, and height, which are all variables that can be manipulated to minimize the overall volume of the container.