Minimum requisite to generalize Proca action

In summary, the condition that has to be satisfied for Proca to be a good generalization of an action is that the number of degrees of freedom allowed to be propagated by the theory has to be three at most. This is because the theory can only describe the behavior of fields that have a total of four degrees of freedom. Adding a fifth degree of freedom results in an unphysical action that cannot be observed in experiments.
JuanC97
Hello guys,
In 90% of the papers I've read about diferent ways to achieve generalizations of the Proca action I've found there's a common condition that has to be satisfied, i.e: The number of degrees of freedom allowed to be propagated by the theory has to be three at most (two if the fields are massless).

I wonder... why is so?, two hypothesis I bare in my mind after discussions with my thesis director were:
1. Proca propagates three degrees of freedom hence, it would be unphysical to pretend to generalize this action at our energy levels including extra degrees of freedom that hasn't been observed in experiments.
2. There could be a fundamental reason related to the representations of the Poincaré group which, as far as I've seen (not much), tell you that two degrees of freedom (2 out of the 4 componets of the vector) are redundant if the vector field is massless and 1 more degree of freedom arises if the mass is non-zero.

The second idea follows from this slides: http://bit.do/UCslides, and this PF post: http://bit.do/PFpost.

Which idea is the most accurate for you guys?
and where could I find more info about it?

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you have a Proca Lagrangian with massless fields? I thought the whole point was to generalize massless fields to fields with mass.

Vanadium 50 said:
How do you have a Proca Lagrangian with massless fields? I thought the whole point was to generalize massless fields to fields with mass.

Well, you're right, the massless case shouldn't be called 'proca' but mathematically, it exists and corresponds to a lagrangian of the form (kinetic term) - (potential).

Also, when I said I was interested in 'generalizing proca', I should've said it was in the sense of adding extra terms to the lagrangian to incorporate aditional kinds of interactions between the fields nothing diferent than this), and basically the way you do it is adding terms composed by products of the fields and their first derivative.

1. What is the Proca action?

The Proca action is a mathematical expression that describes the dynamics of a massive vector field in classical field theory. It is named after Romanian physicist Alexandru Proca.

2. What is the minimum requisite to generalize the Proca action?

The minimum requisite to generalize the Proca action is the inclusion of a mass term for the vector field. This allows the action to describe the dynamics of a massive vector field, as opposed to only massless vector fields.

3. How is the Proca action related to electromagnetism?

The Proca action is a generalization of the Maxwell action, which describes the dynamics of the electromagnetic field. By adding a mass term, the Proca action can describe the dynamics of massive vector bosons, such as the W and Z bosons in the Standard Model of particle physics.

4. What are the physical implications of generalizing the Proca action?

Generalizing the Proca action allows for the inclusion of mass terms, which can have significant physical implications. For example, it can explain the behavior of massive gauge bosons, which are crucial for understanding the weak nuclear force in particle physics.

5. Are there any limitations to the Proca action?

While the Proca action is a useful tool for describing massive vector fields, it does have limitations. It does not take into account the effects of quantum mechanics and is only valid for classical field theory. Additionally, it does not account for interactions between different fields, which can be important in certain situations.