Minimum speed required for charge collision

In summary, the problem involves two plastic spheres with identical charges distributed uniformly throughout their volumes. The first sphere is held fixed while the second sphere is launched towards it from a far distance. The mass of each sphere is known. The goal is to determine the required launch speed for the second sphere in order for the two spheres to touch, and how this would change if the first sphere is free to recoil. The equations used are for electric force and electric potential energy. For the first case, the equation for potential energy is U = k*Q*q/r, while for the second case, the total energy is calculated using the sum of the potential energies of the two spheres. The key is to understand that the potential energy at the starting point
digiholic

Homework Statement

A charge of 3.0 μC is distributed uniformly throughout the volume of plastic
sphere with a radius of 10.0 cm. An identical plastic sphere with charge 3.0 μC
is shot directly at the center of the first sphere, from very far away. The mass
of each sphere is 5.0 X 10^-5 kg. If the first sphere is held fixed, how fast must
the second sphere be launched so that the two spheres touch one another? How
will this change if the first sphere is free to recoil?

Homework Equations

F = (q1*q2)/(r^2*4*pi*ε)
E = Q/(4*pi*ε*r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't know where to start on this one. I get the feeling it has something to do with the field causing an acceleration, which would mean I need to use kinematics, but the force would be increasing as the charged spheres got closer, and I don't know how to handle changing acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the kinetic and potential energies.

So, assuming you need just enough energy to get the two to stop after colliding, the final Kinetic Energy should be zero, so Uinitial + 1/2*m*v^2 = Ufinal?

What's the equation for potential energy in this case?

What is electric potential?

U = k*Q*q/r,

but I don't know the radius between the two spheres at the start.

EDIT: I just realized that since they start so far apart they aren't affecting each other, I don't need the potential at the start, only at the end. So it'd just be 1/2*m*v^2 = Ufinal, right? Using the combined radius of the two as the distance r for U? For the unrestricted movement one, would I just calculate each one's potential at the end, so 1/2*m*v^2 = Umoving + Ustationary?

Last edited:
"Far apart" simply means that the potential is zero. What is the total energy initially and what is the total energy at the moment of collision?

1. What is the minimum speed required for charge collision?

The minimum speed required for charge collision depends on the specific charges involved and the medium in which they are moving. In a vacuum, the minimum speed is equal to the speed of light, but in other mediums it may be lower. It is also affected by factors such as the distance between the charges and the strength of their electric fields.

2. How is the minimum speed for charge collision calculated?

The minimum speed for charge collision can be calculated using the equation v = E/q, where v is the speed of the charge, E is the strength of the electric field, and q is the charge of the particle. This equation is based on the concept that the kinetic energy of the charge must be equal to or greater than the potential energy of the electric field for a collision to occur.

3. What happens if a charge does not reach the minimum speed for collision?

If a charge does not reach the minimum speed for collision, it will not be able to overcome the force of the electric field and will not collide with the other charge. Instead, it will continue to move along its original trajectory.

4. Can the minimum speed for charge collision be exceeded?

Yes, the minimum speed for charge collision can be exceeded. In fact, in most cases, charges are moving at speeds much higher than the minimum required for a collision to occur. This is because the speed of the charge is affected by other factors such as acceleration and the presence of other forces.

5. How does the minimum speed for charge collision relate to the conservation of energy?

The minimum speed for charge collision is based on the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. In the case of charge collision, the kinetic energy of the charge must be equal to or greater than the potential energy of the electric field, demonstrating the conservation of energy in action.