Calculating Electric Field Using Gauss's Law for a Spherical Charge Distribution

In summary, the electric field at a distance of (a) 2.0 cm, (b) 5.0 cm, and (c) 20.0 cm from the center of the sphere is -5.8E8 N/C, -1.35E7 N/C, and -6.7E6 N/C, respectively.
Chemmjr18

Homework Statement

A charge of -30 μC is distributed uniformly throughout a spherical volume of radius 10.0 cm. Determine the electric field due to this charge at a distance of (a) 2.0 cm, (b) 5.0 cm, and (c) 20.0 cm from the center of the sphere.

Homework Equations

Eq. (1): E⋅A=qenc
Eq. (2): qenc=q⋅(r/R)3

In qenc, r is the radius of my Gaussian surface and R is the radius of the actual sphere, 10.0 cm.

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) E= -5.8E8 N/C

(b) E= -1.35E7 N/C

(c) This is where I'm a bit stuck. If I let the radius of my Gaussian surface be 20.0 cm, then all of the actual sphere will be enclosed in my surface. Therefore, qenc would be -30 μC. However, if I use Eq. (2), I get that qenc is -2.4E-6 C which wouldn't really make any sense. Why would there be more charge than what's given? Using what I feel is the more rational option (i.e. letting qenc be -30 μC, I get the following answer:
E= -6.7E6 N/C

If I'd used Eq. (2) to find qenc, I would've gotten E= -5.4E7 N/C. This doesn't make any sense to me, since E is proportional to the inverse radius squared.

I have no way to see if this problem is correct, as it comes from a textbook that only shows answers to odd problems and this is an even problem. Thank for any help in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Chemmjr18 said:
If I let the radius of my Gaussian surface be 20.0 cm, then all of the actual sphere will be enclosed in my surface. Therefore, qenc would be -30 μC.
That would be correct.

Chemmjr18 said:
However, if I use Eq. (2),
Your Eq (2) is only valid within the volume that contains the charge. (For r <= R, the radius of the charged sphere.)

Likes Chemmjr18
Thanks! I just to make sure I'm understanding this topic correctly. Anytime we have a uniform charge distribution, we can imaginarily encompass some or all of that charge distribution in a Gaussian shape and subsequently use Gauss's law to find the electric field at some point relative to the charge distribution? Is it really that simple, or am I just over-simplifying it? Also, if the charge distribution is not uniform (I think this would mean the E-field varies) we have to integrate φ=∫E(x,y)⋅cosθ⋅dA?

Chemmjr18 said:
Anytime we have a uniform charge distribution, we can imaginarily encompass some or all of that charge distribution in a Gaussian shape and subsequently use Gauss's law to find the electric field at some point relative to the charge distribution? Is it really that simple, or am I just over-simplifying it?
Yes, it really is that simple. Assuming you have the needed symmetry. If you do not have the symmetry, applying Gauss' law might involve integrations that you won't be able to simply calculate.

Likes Chemmjr18
Got it. Thanks again!

What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that relates the distribution of electric charges to the resulting electric field. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space.

How do I use Gauss's Law to solve problems?

To use Gauss's Law, you must first identify the symmetry of the problem and choose an appropriate Gaussian surface. Then, you can calculate the electric flux through that surface and equate it to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space. This will allow you to solve for the electric field at a specific point or within a specific region.

What are the limitations of Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is only applicable to static electric fields, meaning the charges must not be in motion. It also assumes that the medium between the charges is homogeneous and isotropic. Additionally, it is not valid for charges that are located on the Gaussian surface itself.

How is Gauss's Law related to Coulomb's Law?

Gauss's Law is a mathematical formulation of Coulomb's Law. It provides a more general and convenient way to calculate the electric field due to a system of charges, while Coulomb's Law only applies to a single point charge.

Can Gauss's Law be applied to any shape or surface?

Yes, Gauss's Law can be applied to any shape or surface as long as the charge distribution and electric field are known. The key is to choose a Gaussian surface that is appropriate for the given problem and its symmetry.