1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minimum u to keep ladder from slipping

1. Aug 26, 2007 #1
    I've read similar posts and have tried the problem several times but don't get the right answer.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A uniform ladder with a mass of 15 kg leans against a frictionless wall at a 65 degree angle. Find the required friction coefficient (u) at the floor that will allow a 100kg person to stand 2/3 of the way up the ladder without slipping.

The answer is .301 but I get u is 1.38.

2. Relevant equations
    t = r x f fg = 9.8 m

3. The attempt at a solution
    Force of friction = force of wall

Normal force = fg of the ladder + fg of the person = 15*9.8 + 100*9.8 = 1127N

torque = 0 = torque of ladder + torque of person - torque of wall = 15*9.8*cos(25)*(1/2) + 100*9.8*cos(25)*(2/3) - (Force of wall)*cos(65)
    I solved for Force of Wall to be 1558.7 N (I know that's wrong because it's supposed to be less than the normal force)

Force of friction = force of wall = 1558.7 = u*Fn = u*1127 u = 1.38

I think I messed up in the torque equation but I don't know exactly where. Help?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Check your trig: Why are you using cos(25) to find the torque due to the weights?
  4. Aug 26, 2007 #3
    Switching the cos and the sin gives the right answer. I guess i misunderstood the placement of the 65 degree angle
  5. Aug 26, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I assume that the ladder is 65 degrees with respect to the floor--but it's not clearly specified in the problem statement.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?