1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minimum Vo for a hoop to get to the top

1. Jun 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2016-6-20_22-1-39.png upload_2016-6-20_22-1-50.png
    part(b) and (c)
    2. Relevant equations
    Conservation of momentum
    Conservation of angular momentum
    Conservation of mechanical energy

3. The attempt at a solution
    So first I thought that I could do it by just using the conservation of mechanical energy, but then I realized that since the lower part of the hoop hits the platform, the energy can't be conserved (there's energy lost):

1/2 mv^2 + 1/2 Iw^2 = mgh + Energy lost
    mv^2 = mgh + Energy lost

I think that part (b) and (c) is very related, once we know the energy lost, we can determine the v needed, however I don't really understand how to find its value. Any suggestion ??

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are right that KE will not be conserved. What other conservation possibilities are there?
    You mentioned two. What is stopping you from trying to use them?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  4. Jun 20, 2016 #3
    Well, conservation of momentum:
    m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1+m2)v3
    But this is if the object experiences inelastic collision, I don't know how to apply it when the other object is just a small bump.
    Conservation of angular momentum:
    Iw1= Iw2
    since the hoop will rotate about the edge of the bump during collision, parallel axis theorem:
    mr^2 w1= 2mr^2 w2
    w1= 2w2

At this time I can't seem to figure out what to do afterwards.

5. Jun 20, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The problem with those two conservation laws here is that you have an unknown impulse from the step. So you need to find a way of applying one of them in which that impulse makes no contribution.
    If you knew the direction of the impulse you could consider momentum orthogonal to it; but you don't.
    Angular momentum is always relative to some chosen axis. Can you choose an axis such that the impulse has no moment about it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted