1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minor or Second major in physics

1. Oct 13, 2012 #1
    Hi this is my first post so hopefully im doing it right. Well im a freshman at NJIT and im having a blast. Im majoring in computer engineering and dont wish to change. My dad wanted me to major in physics and he is mad that im not doing it. I like physics a lot more than any other science but i wanna major in computer engineering. Would it be more beneficial for me to take a minor in physics or double major in physics and computer engineering. I know that the double major will take more time but would it be worth it more in the long run than a minor. Thanks for all the advice in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2012 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you're doing something to make your father happy, you should ask him for what he thinks.

4. Oct 13, 2012 #3
    Well my father wants me to just straight up major in physics only and do research because that was always his goal but since he was an immigrant he could never accomplish it. i just want to know if the minor is just as beneficial and a double major and whats the difference in terms of future benefits

5. Oct 13, 2012 #4
    I know this is not what you asked but personally I advise you to stay miles and miles away from trying to please your father by making a life changing decisions on his behalf.

6. Oct 14, 2012 #5
    How about talking to your father about him pursing his educational goals?

7. Oct 14, 2012 #6
    Ive tried but he is 55 and feels its too late. He is also a manager at panasonic so he is never home and always traveling. Dont get me wrong i like physics more than any other science but i just want to know if a minor may be as worth is as a double major. Thanks for all the advice so far

8. Oct 14, 2012 #7

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

Let me ask you something. Are you personally interested in physics -- enough to want to take courses in it? If so, then I see no problem in pursuing a minor in physics, with no need to change your computer engineering major.

My suggestion would be to take a few courses in physics as electives and see if you like it. If you do, then you can take more courses so that you could earn your minor (or a double major if you wish). The key thing is for you to do this because you are interested in physics, not because your father wants you to pursue it.

9. Oct 15, 2012 #8
    Thats what i was thinking StatGuy. Lets say im interested in physics a lot now. Would a double major be more wothwhile in the future or will a minor be satisfactory

10. Oct 15, 2012 #9

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

That would depend on what you intend to do in the future. If you are thinking of pursuing further graduate studies in physics, then a double major could be worthwhile, but a minor may also be satisfactory as well.

11. Oct 15, 2012 #10
    i know that with a physics major u will most likely teach and unless u have a PhD in physics the degree itself isnt the most worthwhile. I wanna come out of college with a masters and go work at a nice company. Research is ok but for a computer engineer i would like to work at like google. will a minor make me stand out more against other employees or does it have to be a major

12. Oct 16, 2012 #11

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

I really can't say whether having a minor will make you stand out more against other employees as opposed to having a major. As long as you do well in your courses, I don't think it can hurt your chances either way. My recommendation will be to start out with just a minor, and see how it goes.

As far as enhancing your chances at landing work at a nice company, having an internship experience or undergraduate research experience (through the REU program in the US, or something like the NSERC USRA in Canada) will most certainly help.

13. Oct 17, 2012 #12
    Ok. Ill start with the minor and if i rlly like it ill change it to a major. But i just went to our career fair today so hopefully i can land some internships or stuff

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook