Minor or Second major in physics

In summary, the conversation is about a college freshman at NJIT who is majoring in computer engineering and is considering a minor or double major in physics. Their father wants them to major in physics, but they are more interested in computer engineering. They are seeking advice on whether a minor or double major would be more beneficial in the long run, as well as how it may affect their future career opportunities. The expert summarizes that it would be best for the student to take some physics courses as electives to see if they are truly interested, and that internships or research experience would also enhance their chances of landing a job at a desirable company.
SoulReign
Hi this is my first post so hopefully I am doing it right. Well I am a freshman at NJIT and I am having a blast. I am majoring in computer engineering and don't wish to change. My dad wanted me to major in physics and he is mad that I am not doing it. I like physics a lot more than any other science but i want to major in computer engineering. Would it be more beneficial for me to take a minor in physics or double major in physics and computer engineering. I know that the double major will take more time but would it be worth it more in the long run than a minor. Thanks for all the advice in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're doing something to make your father happy, you should ask him for what he thinks.

Well my father wants me to just straight up major in physics only and do research because that was always his goal but since he was an immigrant he could never accomplish it. i just want to know if the minor is just as beneficial and a double major and what's the difference in terms of future benefits

I know this is not what you asked but personally I advise you to stay miles and miles away from trying to please your father by making a life changing decisions on his behalf.

How about talking to your father about him pursing his educational goals?

Ive tried but he is 55 and feels its too late. He is also a manager at panasonic so he is never home and always traveling. Dont get me wrong i like physics more than any other science but i just want to know if a minor may be as worth is as a double major. Thanks for all the advice so far

Let me ask you something. Are you personally interested in physics -- enough to want to take courses in it? If so, then I see no problem in pursuing a minor in physics, with no need to change your computer engineering major.

My suggestion would be to take a few courses in physics as electives and see if you like it. If you do, then you can take more courses so that you could earn your minor (or a double major if you wish). The key thing is for you to do this because you are interested in physics, not because your father wants you to pursue it.

Thats what i was thinking StatGuy. Let's say I am interested in physics a lot now. Would a double major be more wothwhile in the future or will a minor be satisfactory

SoulReign said:
Thats what i was thinking StatGuy. Let's say I am interested in physics a lot now. Would a double major be more wothwhile in the future or will a minor be satisfactory

That would depend on what you intend to do in the future. If you are thinking of pursuing further graduate studies in physics, then a double major could be worthwhile, but a minor may also be satisfactory as well.

i know that with a physics major u will most likely teach and unless u have a PhD in physics the degree itself isn't the most worthwhile. I want to come out of college with a masters and go work at a nice company. Research is ok but for a computer engineer i would like to work at like google. will a minor make me stand out more against other employees or does it have to be a major

SoulReign said:
i know that with a physics major u will most likely teach and unless u have a PhD in physics the degree itself isn't the most worthwhile. I want to come out of college with a masters and go work at a nice company. Research is ok but for a computer engineer i would like to work at like google. will a minor make me stand out more against other employees or does it have to be a major

I really can't say whether having a minor will make you stand out more against other employees as opposed to having a major. As long as you do well in your courses, I don't think it can hurt your chances either way. My recommendation will be to start out with just a minor, and see how it goes.

As far as enhancing your chances at landing work at a nice company, having an internship experience or undergraduate research experience (through the REU program in the US, or something like the NSERC USRA in Canada) will most certainly help.

Ok. Ill start with the minor and if i rlly like it ill change it to a major. But i just went to our career fair today so hopefully i can land some internships or stuff

1. What is a minor or second major in physics?

A minor or second major in physics is an academic program that allows students to study physics in depth, alongside their primary major. It requires students to complete a set number of physics courses in addition to their major requirements.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a minor or second major in physics?

There are several benefits to pursuing a minor or second major in physics. It can enhance critical thinking and problem-solving skills, provide a strong foundation for graduate studies, and make students more competitive in the job market, especially in STEM fields.

3. Is it possible to complete a minor or second major in physics if my primary major is not in a STEM field?

Yes, it is possible to complete a minor or second major in physics even if your primary major is not in a STEM field. However, it may require students to take additional prerequisite courses before enrolling in the required physics courses.

4. How many courses are typically required for a minor or second major in physics?

The number of courses required for a minor or second major in physics varies depending on the institution. On average, it ranges from 4-6 courses, which may include introductory, intermediate, and advanced level courses.

5. Can I pursue a minor or second major in physics even if I have no prior experience in the subject?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a minor or second major in physics even if you have no prior experience in the subject. However, it may require additional effort and dedication to catch up with the foundational concepts and skills required for the program.