1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mips assembly comparing strings

1. Apr 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to compare a user input with a string thats already in the program.

If the operation entered is ‘*’, you should print out the product of the 2 numbers; if the
    operation entered is ‘/’, you should print out the quotient and the remainder.

the multiplication and division is implemented using the algorithms

3. The attempt at a solution

The instructor provided code for the comparison of the user entered operation with a string in the code. I'm having issues with this code, maybe I'm just using it wrong. This is the provided code:
    Code (Text):
    la $a0, operator # puts entered stuff into "operator" string
    li, $a1, 3 # reads 3 things: a character, an enter, and a null
    li $v0, 8 # load the "read string" syscall number
    syscall
    la $s2, operator # operator = s2 = value returned
    lbu $t4, 0($s2) # loads the character entered by the user
    la $t0, addSign # loads the address of the add symbol
    lbu $t5, 0($t0) # loads the add symbol
    bne $t4, $t5, notAdd #if the charater entered isn't a +, move on
    I have the program printing a few lines for input of numbers and such and then I have this:
    Code (Text):
    la $a0, operation   # prints the operation string
        li $v0, 4
        syscall

la $a0, operator    # puts entered data into the operator string
        li $a1, 3   # reads 3 things: a character, an enter, and a null
        li $v0, 8       # loads the read string syscall number
        syscall
        la $s2, operator    # operator = s2 = value returned
        lbu $t4, 0($s2)     # loads the character entered bu the user
        la $t0, multSign    # loads the address of the add symbol
        lbu $t5, 0($t0)     # loads the add symbol
        bne $t4, $t5, notMult   # if the character entered isn't a * move on
    add $a0, $s0, $0
        add $a1, $s1, $0
        jal multiplyFunc
    add $s3, $v0, $0

add $a0, $s0, $0
        li $v0, 1
        syscall

la $a0, multSign
        li $v0, 4
        syscall

add $a0, $s1, $0
        li $v0, 1
        syscall

la $a0, product
        li $v0, 4
        syscall

add $a0, $s3, $0
        li $v0, 1
        syscall
        j Exit

no matter what I input it always multiplies and the weird thing is that if i put in the numbers 3 and 2 for examle with the operation / it goes to multiply and it prints "3/2; product = 6" when I'm not printing the user entered operation between the operands, I'm printing the string in the program. I have the strings declared like this:
    Code (Text):
    product: .asciiz ": product="
    operator: .ascii ""
    multSign: .asciiz "*"
    divSign: .asciiz "/"
    I have no idea what i'm doing wrong here, everything besides this works.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I think your problem might be in this code.
    Code (Text):

la $s2, operator # operator = s2 = value returned
       lbu $t4, 0($s2)      # loads the character entered bu the user
       la $t0, multSign # loads the address of the add symbol
       lbu $t5, 0($t0)      # loads the add symbol
       bne $t4, $t5, notMult    # if the character entered isn't a * move on

You're comparing the wrong things, plus you're storing only two of the three things you need. For example, if the user enters 8/4<CR>, the code above picks out the first operand and the operator, but not the second operand. In this example, 8 gets stored in t4, and '*' gets stored in t5. The branch instruction transfers control to the notMult label if the bytes in t4 and t5 aren't equal, which they clearly are not.

What you want to do is to store the byte at 1(%s2) in t4, and compare that with what's in t5. That way you'll be comparing / with *.

Other comments:
    Your operator string is an empty string. It doesn't look to me like you are allocating any space for it. I might be missing something, but if it's the case that you don't have any memory for operator, when the read string syscall returns, the characters stored in operator could overwrite some other variables. Whenever you're working with pointers and write to the address referenced by the pointer, make sure the pointer points to a block of memory that can be written to without clobbering anything else.

Also, I think operator is a misleading name for this variable. If I understand your code, after the read_string system call, operator will be a string such as "3*4<return><null>". A better name for this string might be expression or operation or the like. The operator in this string is '*'.

Minor point: this code
    la $t0, multSign # loads the address of the add symbol
    has a misleading comment. You're loading the address of the mult. symbol.

4. Apr 20, 2010 #3
    Thank you for the help, i'm working on trying it now. How would i allocate memory for the string? Before I posted I spent a bunch of time messing with that because I thought it was my problem. I was never taught how to do that

5. Apr 20, 2010 #4
    I looked it up online, it's hard to find mips assembly syntax online. The issue was the allocation of space for the string. I fixed that and everything works. Thank you so much

6. Apr 20, 2010 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Cool! Glad that I could point you in the right direction, even though I don't "speak MIPS." Still, assembly is assembly, and if you understand on (x86 for me) you can more or less get the drift in some other kind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook