Mirrors reflect and lenses refract-can someone verify if I understand it?

In summary, reflection is the phenomenon of light bouncing off a surface and changing direction, while refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a medium. Mirrors reflect light by having a smooth surface that creates an image of an object. Lenses refract light due to the curved surfaces that cause a change in the speed of light. Reflection and refraction are related as both result in a change in the direction of light. Examples of these phenomena in everyday life include seeing your reflection in a mirror and the bending of light when looking at a straw in a glass of water.

Physics news on Phys.org
They are the correct terms to use !

charlies1902 said:

Lenses reflect and refract. Mirrors reflect 100% and refract 0%. If my memory serves me, lenses well reflect ~4% when the light is on the way in, and another ~4% when light is on the way out. and the rest ~92% will refract.

1. What is reflection and refraction?

Reflection is the phenomenon where light bounces off a surface and travels in a different direction. Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a medium, such as a lens.

2. How does a mirror reflect light?

A mirror has a smooth and flat surface that allows light to bounce off it at an angle equal to the angle at which it hit the mirror. This creates an image of the object in front of the mirror.

3. Why does a lens refract light?

A lens is made up of curved surfaces that cause light to bend as it passes through. This bending is due to a change in the speed of light as it moves from one medium to another.

4. How are reflection and refraction related?

Reflection and refraction are both ways in which light changes direction. Reflection occurs when light bounces off a surface, while refraction occurs when light passes through a medium and bends. Both play important roles in the formation of images.

5. Can you give an example of reflection and refraction in everyday life?

One example of reflection is when you see your reflection in a mirror. An example of refraction is when you look at a straw in a glass of water and it appears bent due to the bending of light as it passes through the water and into your eyes.

Suggested for: Mirrors reflect and lenses refract-can someone verify if I understand it?

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views