1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Miscellaneous calculation with moles, mass and gas volume

1. May 22, 2006 #1
    Here is the problem:
    An oxy-acetylene gas mixture contains 1.05l of acetylene (C2H2) and 2.6L of oxygen both measured at 102 kPa and 298 K. The mixture is contained in a sealed bottle of 5.5L volume. Determine the reacted as shown here ( 2C2H2(g) +5O2(g)  4CO2(g) + 2H2O(g) ) and the temperature is 851°C.
    I don’t have the slightest idea on how to approach this problem, so any posts suggesting the method of approach (or the final answer and working so I can follow :biggrin: ) would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

Determine the number of moles of each gas. Chemical reactions occur on a molecular basis and the mole is proportional to the number of molecules.

Is the mixture stoichiometric or rich in either acetylene or oxygen? The lesser of the two (lower number of moles) would limit the amount of reaction products.
  4. May 27, 2006 #3
    Use the general gas equation to find the number of moles of each reactant. Find out the limiting reactant.

What's that supposed to mean? Also, what are you actually supposed to find out?
  5. May 28, 2006 #4
    That question mark is supposed to be an arrow, sorry. I am trying to find out the reactant shown in the equation, and the partial pressure of each of the gas/es after the reaction has occur at the stated temperature.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?