Atmospheric Stoichiochemistry: what mass of CO2 is produced?

In summary, a student attempted to solve a problem on a homework statement involving burning acetylene and carbon dioxide. They found the amounts of the molecules and used a mole ratio to find the amount of carbon dioxide produced. They got the same answer as if they solved for the temperature and pressure given.
Fifty
I have two problems actually:

Problem 1

Homework Statement

What mass of carbon dioxide can be produced at a temperature of 1500 *C and an atmospheric pressure of 92.5 kPa, if 15.5 L of acetylene gas is burned at STP?

Homework Equations

PV = nRT
P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I found the amount of moles of acetylene gas, using the ideal gas law, PV = nRT
nacetylene = 0.692 mol

Then, I used a mole ratio according to the equation to find the moles of carbon dioxide gas:

2C2H2 + 5O2 → 2H2O + 4CO2

And 1.384 mol of carbon dioxide gas should be produced, multiplied by its molar mass of 32, I got 60.9 g.

What confuses me is the 1500 *C and 92.5 kPa. The question was out of four marks and my solution seems worth that many marks. However, when I asked about it, my chemistry teacher sternly implied that the 1500 C and 92.5 kPa is relevant. This is my alternative solution, that gives the same answer, requires more work but does account for both the above values:

Used mole ratio to go from 15.5 L acetylene to 31 L carbon dioxide gas. Converted from STP (31 L) to the given conditions, which satisfy the ideal conditions for an ideal gas that I found online (which was not in the course) that says that gases are "more" ideal at high temperature and low pressure: 92.5 kPa < STP, 1500 C > STP.

I now had 220.5 L volume at the temperature and pressure given and used the ideal gas law to solve, and got the same answer:

92.5 kPa * 220.5 L/ 8.31 J * mol-1 * K-1 * 1773 K = 1.38 mol.

I got zero on the question.

Thanks in advance for ANY AND ALL input! :)

I think the second one is slightly more appropriate, but both directions give the same answer, and considering that I barely had time to finish the test, the first approach seemed more practical.

Physics news on Phys.org
Either the teacher meant something else than the question asks, or you are quoting it incorrectly - but the way it is worded neither 1500°C nor 92.5 kPa matters. They would matter for the volume of gas produced, but not for the mass.

15.5 L of acetylene at STP is 0.692 moles, and it produces 60.9 g of CO2, these are perfectly correct numbers.

(no audio, watch in 480p and full screen)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How is the mass of CO2 produced calculated in atmospheric stoichiometry?

In atmospheric stoichiometry, the mass of CO2 produced is calculated by using the balanced chemical equation and the molar mass of CO2. The balanced chemical equation shows the ratio of the reactants and products, and the molar mass of CO2 gives the mass of 1 mole of CO2. By multiplying the molar mass by the ratio of CO2 in the balanced equation, the mass of CO2 produced can be determined.

2. What factors affect the mass of CO2 produced in atmospheric stoichiometry?

The mass of CO2 produced in atmospheric stoichiometry can be affected by several factors, including the amount of reactants, the efficiency of the reaction, and the conditions of the reaction (e.g. pressure, temperature, presence of a catalyst). Additionally, the type of reaction and the stoichiometric ratio of the reactants can also impact the mass of CO2 produced.

3. Can the mass of CO2 produced in atmospheric stoichiometry be negative?

No, the mass of CO2 produced cannot be negative in atmospheric stoichiometry. This is because the mass of CO2 produced is determined by the balanced chemical equation, which only includes positive numbers. A negative value would indicate that the reaction is not proceeding as expected.

4. How is the mass of CO2 produced in atmospheric stoichiometry related to climate change?

The mass of CO2 produced in atmospheric stoichiometry is directly related to climate change as CO2 is a greenhouse gas that traps heat in the Earth's atmosphere. As more CO2 is produced, the Earth's temperature increases, leading to various impacts on the environment and human society. Understanding the mass of CO2 produced is crucial in studying and mitigating the effects of climate change.

5. How does the mass of CO2 produced in atmospheric stoichiometry compare to other emissions?

The mass of CO2 produced in atmospheric stoichiometry is one of the largest contributors to greenhouse gas emissions. It is estimated that CO2 accounts for approximately 82% of all greenhouse gas emissions from human activities. Other emissions, such as methane and nitrous oxide, also contribute to climate change, but in smaller amounts. Therefore, the mass of CO2 produced in atmospheric stoichiometry is a significant factor in understanding and addressing climate change.