1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atmospheric Stoichiochemistry: what mass of CO2 is produced?

1. Jun 21, 2013 #1
    I have two problems actually:

Problem 1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What mass of carbon dioxide can be produced at a temperature of 1500 *C and an atmospheric pressure of 92.5 kPa, if 15.5 L of acetylene gas is burned at STP?

2. Relevant equations

PV = nRT
    P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2

3. The attempt at a solution

First, I found the amount of moles of acetylene gas, using the ideal gas law, PV = nRT
    nacetylene = 0.692 mol

Then, I used a mole ratio according to the equation to find the moles of carbon dioxide gas:

2C2H2 + 5O2 → 2H2O + 4CO2

And 1.384 mol of carbon dioxide gas should be produced, multiplied by its molar mass of 32, I got 60.9 g.

What confuses me is the 1500 *C and 92.5 kPa. The question was out of four marks and my solution seems worth that many marks. However, when I asked about it, my chemistry teacher sternly implied that the 1500 C and 92.5 kPa is relevant. This is my alternative solution, that gives the same answer, requires more work but does account for both the above values:

Used mole ratio to go from 15.5 L acetylene to 31 L carbon dioxide gas. Converted from STP (31 L) to the given conditions, which satisfy the ideal conditions for an ideal gas that I found online (which was not in the course) that says that gases are "more" ideal at high temperature and low pressure: 92.5 kPa < STP, 1500 C > STP.

I now had 220.5 L volume at the temperature and pressure given and used the ideal gas law to solve, and got the same answer:

92.5 kPa * 220.5 L/ 8.31 J * mol-1 * K-1 * 1773 K = 1.38 mol.

I got zero on the question.

Thanks in advance for ANY AND ALL input! :)

I think the second one is slightly more appropriate, but both directions give the same answer, and considering that I barely had time to finish the test, the first approach seemed more practical.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Either the teacher meant something else than the question asks, or you are quoting it incorrectly - but the way it is worded neither 1500°C nor 92.5 kPa matters. They would matter for the volume of gas produced, but not for the mass.

15.5 L of acetylene at STP is 0.692 moles, and it produces 60.9 g of CO2, these are perfectly correct numbers.

(no audio, watch in 480p and full screen)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted