Missed a no-parking sign during my driving test
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
100 replies · 16K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,805
Good luck on your next test. Can you practice until then? You could always take your driving test in San Diego - which you may need to do to get a California driver's license.
Fortunately, San Diego has a good transportation system, particularly around the university.
I did my driving test in a 1970 VW, and the officer was about 1.8-1.9 m (just over 6 ft). He leaned his leg against the gear shift, and apparently I was supposed to tell him to move his leg. I failed my first test because of that and the fact that he claimed I didn't look both directions at an intersection (which I did, but I didn't turn my head 90° both directions). Everything else went well - even parallel parking.
Somehow, I don't think a short skirt would have worked in my favor.
Fortunately, San Diego has a good transportation system, particularly around the university.
I did my driving test in a 1970 VW, and the officer was about 1.8-1.9 m (just over 6 ft). He leaned his leg against the gear shift, and apparently I was supposed to tell him to move his leg. I failed my first test because of that and the fact that he claimed I didn't look both directions at an intersection (which I did, but I didn't turn my head 90° both directions). Everything else went well - even parallel parking.
Somehow, I don't think a short skirt would have worked in my favor.
Last edited:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,805
A lot of people were impressed, and no one made fun of me.
Science Advisor
- 365
- 88
Either the examiners in your home town didn't take calculus or you were lucky.Evo said:Luckily my best friend had given me a wonderful piece of advice before taking my test "wear a really short skirt".
In general, you would want the girls wearing really short skirts to come back, so you'd fail them. Of course, if this were taken to an extreme, people would catch on and no one would wear short skirts. In order to maximize the number short skirts, you have to perpetuate the myth that short skirts help on the driver's exam. Some where, there is a balance between the number of short skirts that pass and the number of short skirts that have to come back for a retest is maximized - in fact, that has to be a good related rates problem.
Suffice it to say, if Clausius2 wore a short skirt, the examiner would never want him to set foot in his office again and the way to minimize the chances of that ever happening again would be to pass him.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 1,433
- 7
Astronuc said:You could always take your driving test in San Diego - which you may need to do to get a California driver's license.
I know. There is no convalidation between USA's driver license and Spain's driver license, so I will have to do another exam there.
BobG said:Suffice it to say, if Clausius2 wore a short skirt, the examiner would never want him to set foot in his office again and the way to minimize the chances of that ever happening again would be to pass him.
Well, unless Clausius2 was unlucky enough to get a female examiner, in which case she might fail him regardless of how well he drove just so she could see him in a short skirt again.
Today 04:38 PM
Have you seen my legs? Any woman would forget about watching how I drive if I wear a short skirt. Maybe Moonbear and Evo will have some day the privilege of looking at them. Until then, keep on dreaming girls, keep on dreaming...
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,663
- 37
Wow! It took this poor fella 272 tries:
http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/bizarre/43352004.htm
April 25, 2005, 12:58:52 A South Korean man has finally passed his driver's theory test on the 272nd attempt.
Seo Sang-Moon has been trying to pass the exam for five years, costing him over one million Korean won ($1,000) in application fees.
The 69-year-old traveling repairman only started taking the test in 2000 after it was changed from a written exam to an oral examination because he is illiterate.
An official from the testing office said: "He has been coming here for more than five years and we regard him almost as being one of the family."
http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/bizarre/43352004.htm
April 25, 2005, 12:58:52 A South Korean man has finally passed his driver's theory test on the 272nd attempt.
Seo Sang-Moon has been trying to pass the exam for five years, costing him over one million Korean won ($1,000) in application fees.
The 69-year-old traveling repairman only started taking the test in 2000 after it was changed from a written exam to an oral examination because he is illiterate.
An official from the testing office said: "He has been coming here for more than five years and we regard him almost as being one of the family."
JamesU
Gold Member
- 828
- 3
Math Is Hard said:Wow! It took this poor fella 272 tries:
http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/bizarre/43352004.htm
April 25, 2005, 12:58:52 A South Korean man has finally passed his driver's theory test on the 272nd attempt.
Seo Sang-Moon has been trying to pass the exam for five years, costing him over one million Korean won ($1,000) in application fees.
The 69-year-old traveling repairman only started taking the test in 2000 after it was changed from a written exam to an oral examination because he is illiterate.
An official from the testing office said: "He has been coming here for more than five years and we regard him almost as being one of the family."
Lisa!
Gold Member
- 672
- 96
Clausius2 said:Have you seen my legs? Any woman would forget about watching how I drive if I wear a short skirt. Maybe Moonbear and Evo will have some day the privilege of looking at them. Until then, keep on dreaming girls, keep on dreaming...:!)
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
- 10,165
- 138
Since I'm totally hopeless around technology, and turning on the coffee machine each morning is a major undertaking with uncertain result (I tend to forget either adding the water or the coffee powder), I am impressed that Clausius only JUST failed to get his driving license (I haven't even bothered to try).
You'll get it next time.
You'll get it next time.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 1,433
- 7
Lisa! said:Women usually look at someone's legs if he'd have an ugly face!So if you have a nice face, you're not lucky!
Well, I have both things: a nice face and nice legs. So if you want to spend a good time, I advice you to look at both things... :!)
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 1,433
- 7
arildno said:Since I'm totally hopeless around technology, and turning on the coffee machine each morning is a major undertaking with uncertain result (I tend to forget either adding the water or the coffee powder), I am impressed that Clausius only JUST failed to get his driving license (I haven't even bothered to try).
You'll get it next time.
Don't worry, arildno. If you are able to work with your computer and clicking on PF, you will learn to manage the coffee machine soon...
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
- 10,165
- 138
Thanks for the confidence in me, but I'm not too sure..Clausius2 said:Don't worry, arildno. If you are able to work with your computer and clicking on PF, you will learn to manage the coffee machine soon...
I'm wondering about my inabilities in these areas. Perhaps I have a wrist problem?
Last edited:
Lisa!
Gold Member
- 672
- 96
I checked member photo thread.and...Clausius2 said:Well, I have both things: a nice face and nice legs. So if you want to spend a good time, I advice you to look at both things... :!)![]()
![]()
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
arildno said:Thanks for the confidence in me, but I'm not too sure..
I'm wondering about my inabilities in these areas. Perhaps I have a wrist problem?![]()
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 1,433
- 7
Lisa! said:I checked member photo thread.and...
Look at the second photo. In the first one I get disfavoured. The first one photo is cut by half. On the other half is an spanish ESA astronaut, Pedro Duque who visited my university last year. I will post the complete photo in the member p.t.
Lisa!
Gold Member
- 672
- 96
I just liked your second photo before you mentioned about it.The only problem is that you have too brushy eyebrows but you look nice!Clausius2 said:Look at the second photo. In the first one I get disfavoured. The first one photo is cut by half. On the other half is an spanish ESA astronaut, Pedro Duque who visited my university last year. I will post the complete photo in the member p.t.

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
- 10,165
- 138
Clausius2 has NOT got too brushy eyebrows!Lisa! said:I just liked your second photo before you mentioned about it.The only problem is that you have too brushy eyebrows but you look nice!![]()
They lend him an aura of mystique, and well, Danger..
Lisa!
Gold Member
- 672
- 96
You're a great friend for him!arildno said:Clausius2 has NOT got too brushy eyebrows!
They lend him an aura of mystique, and well, Danger..![]()
Last edited:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 1,980
- 7
Math Is Hard said:
And that's only the theoretical part they are talking about. He still has to get in the car. Hopefully he's better at actual driving. If it takes too long the validity of the theory-certificate will expire and he has to do it all over again.
Lisa!
Gold Member
- 672
- 96
arildno said:Hmm..well, I don't think I'll embarrass Clausius2 any further.
If the ladies at PF would like to moon about him, I'm sure he'll appreciate that.
Actually having brushy eyebrows isn't a defet.You know most of women prefer men with brushy eyebrows.But you know I don't like too brushy eyebrows because my eyebrows are brushy .(Of course not as much as yoursClausius2 said:How about you? I want to see some nice defet of yours.![]()
Thanks heaven!Clausius2 said:but I haven't found any photo.
Well I should wait at least for a year(just like yourself No, I'm not confident enough!Are you shy?
Last edited:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 1,980
- 7
Lisa! said:Actually having brushy eyebrows isn't a defet.You know most of women prefer men with brushy eyebrows.
That's a relief to hear. I haven't put a picture of myself up yet, but believe me; I look like Bert from Sesame Street (wrt eyebrows).
I thought they always looked cool on me, 'till I heard unibrows were some of the 7 signs of ugliness or something.
Lisa!
Gold Member
- 672
- 96
No comment before seeing your photo!Galileo said:That's a relief to hear. I haven't put a picture of myself up yet, but believe me; I look like Bert from Sesame Street (wrt eyebrows).
I thought they always looked cool on me, 'till I heard unibrows were some of the 7 signs of ugliness or something.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 1,433
- 7
I CANNOT BELIEVE IT!
I HAVE FAILED IT AGAIN!
I am too furious. I am about jabbing everybody here.
Me cago en la ostia puta!, Joder!
After 20 minutes driving so correctly he said me parking here. I did the parking but I had to re-maneuver in order to fit it into the place, but I spent too much time (the limit is in 2 minutes). He said me the time was over.
(This shows my thinkings just now).
I HAVE FAILED IT AGAIN!
I am too furious. I am about jabbing everybody here.
Me cago en la ostia puta!, Joder!
After 20 minutes driving so correctly he said me parking here. I did the parking but I had to re-maneuver in order to fit it into the place, but I spent too much time (the limit is in 2 minutes). He said me the time was over.
(This shows my thinkings just now).
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 1,433
- 7
I am really upset and angry.
*******ck !*****!*********!*********!
*******!*******!*******!***!*******!*!************
and all this too:
*******************************************************************************************************************************examiner's mother************************* ****************************his wife and***********************her!
Joder! Coño! Me cago en todo lo que se menea! La ostia puta! Estoy hasta los santos cojones del puto cochecito, me cago en el examinador y en toda su puta familia! y en su abuela. Os juro que cuando apruebe voy a coger y me voy a liar a ostias con todo el mundo, y el puto examinador va a pillar cacho por un tubo, porque le voy a partir la geta!
*******ck !*****!*********!*********!
*******!*******!*******!***!*******!*!************
and all this too:
*******************************************************************************************************************************examiner's mother************************* ****************************his wife and***********************her!
Joder! Coño! Me cago en todo lo que se menea! La ostia puta! Estoy hasta los santos cojones del puto cochecito, me cago en el examinador y en toda su puta familia! y en su abuela. Os juro que cuando apruebe voy a coger y me voy a liar a ostias con todo el mundo, y el puto examinador va a pillar cacho por un tubo, porque le voy a partir la geta!
Last edited:
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 1,433
- 7
arildno said:Okay, sorry about the last one, I'll delete it.
I'm sorry you failed your exam. Perhaps it isn't worth trying again until you've moved to the US and gets a different instructor.
do you know the problem? We, our stupid country filled with a$$holes and subnormals has no formal treatment for validating the US driving license here. So I have another opportunity on 7th Sept, which I don't know it is worth of taking. But If I fail it, I will spend a lot of money in this stupid mission of having the driv. license without sucess!. Moreover, here the driving license is very expensive. I have spend near 1000 Euros with only two failures and few practicing classes!. We are living in a prehistoric country, where everybody (specially the Administration) takes advantage of everything and your money, except you. I am ashamed of me for failuring this stupid exam and passing all others I have had to pass in my undergraduate studies, and I am also ashamed in living in this damn country.