Missed the reg deadline for the physics GRE

In summary, it is possible to apply to grad schools without a physics GRE but it may be difficult to be accepted.
Physics_UG
Gold Member
Normally ETS offers it in November too but it seems to only be offered in October this year. Can I still apply to grad schools without a pgre? Is it possible to still get admitted?

Physics news on Phys.org
looks like I will be applying to schools where pgre is only strongly recommended.

I took it 5 yrs ago though and scored a 600. that score has since been purged.

You can still attempt to do standby testing. https://www.ets.org/gre/subject/register/accommodations/

Stengah said:
You can still attempt to do standby testing. https://www.ets.org/gre/subject/register/accommodations/

Great! I may give this a shot. Thanks a lot.

It is not guaranteed they will have a copy of the Physics test there. When I took it, they got only the one. Good luck!

Vanadium 50 said:
It is not guaranteed they will have a copy of the Physics test there. When I took it, they got only the one. Good luck!

A lot of decent phd programs say subject gre is not required but strongly recommended. What exactly does this mean?

Also, thanks Vanadium

It means that they can accept a GRE-less applicant, but it doesn't mean that they will. It also doesn't preclude them from accepting a student with weaker grades and letters who has taken the subject GRE.

Vanadium 50 said:
It means that they can accept a GRE-less applicant, but it doesn't mean that they will. It also doesn't preclude them from accepting a student with weaker grades and letters who has taken the subject GRE.

Do you think it would help if I staed that I received a 600 back when I took it but that score has been deleted from ETS's records and that I couldn't retake it because I missed the deadline? Or do you think my subject gre is too low for that to matter?

I have a dual degree in EE and physics with a 3.44 gpa overall and much higher in physics from a little known but challenging university. I scored a 760Q 370V on the gre when I took it 2 yrs ago but I intend to retake it next month. I have a lot of research experience from undergrad and I also have a lot of research experience at the grad level (2 co-author publications and a first place award in a research competition with a total of 10 competitors in the final round and about 300 in the first round) when I spent a year in a EE phd program but left because of an illness and since realized I am better suited for a physics grad program. I also intend to have excellent references from my EE grad program (the research was a bit physics-y in nature as well). I also have a lot of industry experience, not that this matters.

I think I am competitive to some decent top 30 or 40 schools with my stats despite my lack of subject gre scores, but who cares what I think?

Well, I emailed the chair at one of my universities of choice to see what his opinion is. We will see if he gets back to me.

missed physics gre test deadline

So I want to go into a physics PhD program. Unfortunately, I was not aware that the test was only offered in september and october and not november like prior years. I will only have the general gre scores to submit. I emailed some of the departments that say the physics gre is not required but recommended. Some say it shouldn't be problem and other say it will put me at a disadvantage against other applicants with physics gre results.

Am I screwed? Has anyone been accepted into a top 30 or so physics phd program with no physics gre score?

:(

I am considering Stony Brook, Indiana, Wayne State (maybe?), and Michigan State (maybe?)

I'm in the same boat. My decision to graduate this year came after the deadline for the physics GRE. I'm still applying to 7 grad schools, though:
University of Minnesota, Brown University, UW-Milwaukee, CUNY, Stony Brook, Brandeis, and University of Pittsburgh. None of them require the physics GRE, although they all the recommend it.

I'm not really sure what to expect. We'll see.

1. Why is it important to take the physics GRE?

Taking the physics GRE is important for several reasons. Firstly, it is a requirement for many graduate programs in physics and related fields. It is also used as a standardized measure of a student's understanding of physics concepts, which can be helpful in the admissions process. Additionally, performing well on the physics GRE can demonstrate a strong foundation in physics and may increase your chances of being accepted into your desired program.

2. Can I still apply to graduate programs if I missed the physics GRE registration deadline?

Yes, you can still apply to graduate programs even if you missed the physics GRE registration deadline. However, you may need to explain the reason for missing the deadline and provide a plan for taking the exam in the future. Some graduate programs may also have their own deadlines for the physics GRE, so it is important to check with each program individually.

3. What are my options if I missed the registration deadline for the physics GRE?

If you missed the registration deadline for the physics GRE, you have a few options. Firstly, you can wait until the next registration period and take the exam at a later date. Secondly, you can check with your desired graduate programs to see if they accept late registration or if they have their own deadlines for the exam. Lastly, you can also consider taking the exam at a later date and submitting your scores to your desired programs at a later time.

4. Will my application be at a disadvantage if I missed the physics GRE registration deadline?

Missing the physics GRE registration deadline may put your application at a slight disadvantage as it may delay the submission of your scores to graduate programs. However, it is not necessarily a determining factor in the admissions process. It is important to focus on other aspects of your application, such as your academic achievements and letters of recommendation, to make a strong case for your admission.

5. Can I retake the physics GRE if I missed the registration deadline or did not do well on my first attempt?

Yes, you can retake the physics GRE if you missed the registration deadline or did not do well on your first attempt. The exam is offered multiple times throughout the year, so you can register for a later date. It is important to note that some graduate programs may only consider your highest score, while others may consider all of your scores. Therefore, it is important to strategize and prepare for your retake in order to improve your performance.